Is the ARRIFLEX 416 Plus HS louder than the other models at 24 FPS?

Charles Zuzak

For those of you who've actually used it, is the ARRIFLEX 416 Plus HS louder than the regular speed range 416 models? The former is rated at 29 dB while the latter two are 20 dB. However, unless I'm misinterpreting the specification, I suspect the sound level measurement is referring to operation at the top speed (150 fps vs 75 fps). Or does it actually make more noise at standard frame rates like 24 fps?

Sure, but wouldn't most of the noise generated come from the film going through the gates? In that case, wouldn't the sound levels be negligible in difference at that speed? I could understand 75 fps vs 150 fps though...

Edited by Charles Zuzak

• Premium Member

It would come through the gate, but not necessarily be caused by the gate. All the rollers and the movement ect will also effect it; and it may even be a diff designed gate. Again, I'm going off of the SR3s i'm used to. I'd honestly just give a call up to Arri to find out for certain.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I haven't had my hands on a 416 but I'd agree with Adrian, it's a function of high speed designs that makes them noisier. The high speed SR3 is rated at 27 dB compared to 20 dB for the standard. Noise is always measured at sync sound speeds (since noise at high speeds is kind of irrelevant.) I suspect with SR3s the noise variation is mainly due to the pressure plate design in the high speed mags, which is quite different from the standard ones. Something similar would be happening with the 416.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It really depends on the nature of the production, 27dB is roughly the same as 1970s 16mm cameras. Noise pick up depends how closely the subject is miked, the acoustics of the room and how close the camera is to the microphone. You should have a barney handy, although they used to make blimps for the early 16 SRs for use on dramas.

• Premium Member

Would a HS model take a mag from the Advanced version?

A normal mag will physically fit on a HS camera but it's not recommended to interchange them. For one thing the HS camera flange depth is slightly different to accommodate the different HS mag pressure plate design. I don't think it would be catastrophic though.