ACL II light meter - light loss for viewfinder?

Gregg MacPherson

Don't quote me but I don't think it causes light loss. It's removed most of the time if you do a Super-16 conversion anyway to make room for the wider viewing area. I am pretty sure that's only because it's physically in the way & doesn't brighten the viewfinder.

Because it's so simplistic I figured there was just a photo-sensitive component kinda pointed at the viewfinder glass or something, rather than the light path going through it. I could be wrong, though. I didn't notice a major difference in the brightness when mine was removed for a Super-16 conversion.

If your viewfinder is dark, Bernie's Laserbrighten service definitely will brighten it up a stop or so.

I'm looking at page 25 of the Eclair ACL Camera Operating Manual. There's a picture of the mirror, prism for the meter (1), prism block for the viewfinder (2). The prism (1) is stuck on the back side of prism (2). Intuitively, it seem like the prism (2) back surface is not fully reflective, and even if the prism (1) was not there there would be light loss. But this may be only a fraction of a stop. If I'm missunderstanding this can someone give me a nudge.

I just felt that with light meter, video tap, that light was lost that I would prefer to have for the viewfinder. It's the big kinoptik finder, x10 magnification (almost too big, but great for focusing). The image looks bright, but I haven't done side by side comparisons with Aaton / SR.

Does Bernie's lazer brightening improve on a new GG? If so how does that work. This camera and VF are literally almost new.

• 6 months later...

Hi Gregg,

Sorry for the late answer but the answer is yes, and no ;-)

Yes, there is, you can see it in your VF if it has a lightmeter built-in : it's the center circle that is slightly yellowish, or at least darker. That is where some of the GG light is diverted to the lightmeter cell.

So, yes, there is some light loss, as you can see, but only in that center spot.

Removing the Lightmetering system does not help, since the center spot pellicle is built into the GG and prism optical block. Not sure why sme technicians remove it for S-16 conversion, it's not necessary and it's a pretty useful feature of the camera. Some ACLs never had it, by the way, it was a factory option. I have one of the last ACL II and it didn't have a lightmeter built in (so no center spot either).

And yes, you are right, the lightmeter is described in detail, with schema, in the mid-70's user manual (the one that most people have).

Cheers,

Boris