Beginner dslr set up for event coverage (bar mitzva/wedding)

Anthony Kennedy

I'm wondering what the cheapest set up would be for event coverage?

I have dslr and lenses, but it is more in terms of rig, lighting and sound recording equipment (something that can be operated by one person). The camera provided is a 60D. Lighting and rig are most important.

No, sound is most important. Also, when you're shooting events it is advisable that you have at least 2 person (including you), but a 3 man crew is the best. The problems with rigs and lighting fixtures is that they're too finicky and it's one more thing that you have to carry around.

For sound, I would get a recorder (tascam, or zoom) to record out of the soundboard. wireless mic are also important especially for weddings. I'm wishing to get into sound more somewhere in the future.

I usually use tripod, monopod and handheld steadicam the most. One of my friend try to use a rig for a quince and he found it too finicky trying to switch to a slider.

For lighting, you only need it if the reception lighting is too low. Small LED lights are really useful for events. Just know that shootings events is much much different than shooting a movie.

No, sound is most important. Also, when you're shooting events it is advisable that you have at least 2 person (including you), but a 3 man crew is the best. The problems with rigs and lighting fixtures is that they're too finicky and it's one more thing that you have to carry around.

For sound, I would get a recorder (tascam, or zoom) to record out of the soundboard. wireless mic are also important especially for weddings. I'm wishing to get into sound more somewhere in the future.

I usually use tripod, monopod and handheld steadicam the most. One of my friend try to use a rig for a quince and he found it too finicky trying to switch to a slider.

For lighting, you only need it if the reception lighting is too low. Small LED lights are really useful for events. Just know that shootings events is much much different than shooting a movie.

Thanks, what small LED lights are you referring to?