Beaulieu 4008 Battery Dummy 3-pin DIN socket PIN-OUT ?

DGB

Hi!

First of all I want to thank all of you for this TOP NOTCH forum.

Very informative and helpful!

So, first post --> first question.

I bought a Beaulieu 4008 ZM II camera some time ago. I plan to shoot some footage outside in cold weather conditions and therefor I want to use an external battery pack.

I intent to safe money and not to buy a Battery Dummy, which is rather expensive, instead I will build my own out of an old Beaulieu battery.

Following the instructions on this website http://www.bondy.de/beaulieu/4008battery.html I managed to open the battery.

Next step is the installation of the 3-pin DIN socket but I need help with the configuration of the pins to the three camera contacts.

post-59916-0-31416500-1360068534_thumb.jpg

A proper pin-out / wire diagram would be very helpful.

I want to use an external Beaulieu battery container (which I don´t have yet) so the dummy should be compatibel with Beaulieu accessories (cable, container etc.).

Every bit of information is very welcome!

Regards, David

David - Looking into the socket - The 3 o'clock pin is the ground, the 12 o'clock pin is 3.6 volts for the meter and the 9 o'clock pin is 7.2 volts.

If you have a Beaulieu battery - the center is 7.2, the middle is 3.6 and the outer ring is the ground.

....hope this helps.

Do a test before you solder anything to make sure it works.

I have built a few battery packs for the R16 with 6 AAs tapping 3.6 volts at 3 batteries and they work great.

Steve

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the quick response and the information regarding the pin-out!

Just to be sure. Looking at the photo the 3 o´clock pin --> 0V ; 12 o´clock pin --> 3.6V ; 9 o´clock pin --> 7.2V. Right?

Is this the standard Beaulieu pin-out and compatible with the Beaulieu cable and the Beaulieu battery container?

Regards, David

David - I have only used the R16 but I do have a remote battery holder. When I plug the battery pack for the R16 into the remote holder I get the correct voltages at all of the pins so yes, this appears to be a Beaulieu standard. The R16 manual states that pin #1 is negative and pin #3 is positive.

Apecity.com has 4008 user manuals as well as the 4008 repair manual if you want to go through the wiring schematic.

Have fun!

Steve

• 5 years later...

I have a Pro8mm Classic camera, which is a converted Beaulieu 4008 ZM II with a modified DIN 3pin socket fitted, powered by a battery pack. After investigating the wiring and construction of the pack I have devised the attached diagram. Hopefully this might help those who want to modify their own cameras or just want infor on how Pro8mm upgrade the cameras.

sorry, I can't post my picture on this forum. Please find it here:

http://neathfilmmakers.org/images/Pro8mmClassicBatteryPack.png

In the diagram I have shown a brown component that connects two yellow wires.

I haven't yet identified the component but I believe you can ignore it and just have a single

yellow wire (effectively bypassing the component).

Edited by Edward Grabczewski

Hi Jean-Louis

Two points:

1. The original photo at the start of this thread shows a 3 pin DIN socket. My wiring diagram shows a 3 pin DIN plug, so you would expect the pins to be reversed. However, maybe you've alread taken that into account. Which Beaulieu 4008 ZM model had one of these 3 pin DIN sockets fitted to the body?

2. Pro8mm of Hollywood modified my own Classic camera (an old 4008 ZM) and fitted this 3 pin DIN plug (or so I believed). The wiriing diagram I show is the correct one for this modification. I know this because I disassembeld the battery pack once it started to leak and traced all the wiring myself. So treat my diagram as correct for the Pro8mm Classic model (as it says on the diagram).

I would be intrerested to contact Pro8mm to confirm this pin configuration, as I can't see why they should have reversed the pins for not good reason.

When you say "Steve is right" then (to repeat my earlier question) which model of Beaulieu camera was fitted with this 3 pin DIN socket? I'm keen on getting the Beaulieu socket properly diagrammed too as there are no good diagrams on the web and the information above is totally confusing.

thanks

Eddy

Agreed. As long as we use the pin numbering on the DIN plug and socket then there's no confusion.

I meant they are reversed then looking at the "front" of the socket and plug.

I've emailed Pro8mm for their pin configuration to see if it agrees with my diagram and if it differs from your findings.

Steve says he used the R16 manual. So presumably the 4008 never had such a connector.

I've updated the Pro8mm battery diagram to identify the mysterious component, that's a thermal sensor which kicks in at 55 degrees C.

Since the original component has no markings, I've found an equivalent component (KDS 9700 55°C)

Here's an article on using sensors on battery packs:

http://www.semitec-usa.com/application/battery1.html

The Pro8mm version only places the thermal sensor on the 3.6V supply. I'm not sure why it's not on the whole battery.

If anyone knows why then I'd be interested to learn.