New Agfa S8 and 16mm 200D color reversal stocks from Wittner Cinetec

• Premium Member

Just for the record:

Wittner is now selling the unmodified AGFA Avichrome 200 in large amounts in 16mm and for quite a good price:

732 meters: 499,00 €

Some have proposed that Wittnerchrome is lubed for motion picture use and for this reason plain Avichrome might not run as well. Caution might be necessary.

is that price for 16mm perforated stock? or just 16mm unperforated. I was under the oimpression that Wittner was sliting the stock from larger size (ie 35mm) and perfoarting it themselves.

is that price for 16mm perforated stock? or just 16mm unperforated. I was under the oimpression that Wittner was sliting the stock from larger size (ie 35mm) and perfoarting it themselves.

That's 1R (1 RA-2994) so yes, perforated stock.

That looks pretty good. Looks like a faster version of E64T. Hopefully I should be able to get my hands on some of this stuff when Pro8mm puts it out.

This AGFA 200D film stock has been available for over a month in the U.S. I purchased 1 roll in May for $25.50 , not including shipping.

I found out about this U.S. retailer http://thereelimage.jimdo.com/our-web-showroom/ by reading the Wittner website.

I suggest that you call to check on availbility, as the owner of The Reel Image , Steve Osborne, told me that he has run out of the stock 3 times.

I think he gets weekly shipments.

Pro8mm will be selling the same stock for $45.00 including processing.

Edited by Richard Hadfield

The gentleman who runs Reel Image left me a voice mail last night, very kind and helpful. Looks like they will be a great place to pick up Super 8 reversal in the U.S.

Did he mention what the Fuji stock was?? Very interested in both emulsions.

I think that Astia 100 was finally discontinued a couple years back.

Are the Reel Image carts notched so that cameras can read them correctly? I might wanna give these a try.

The AGFA 200D is notched for 250D asa film (0.300 of an inch from the center of the Kodapak Cartridge). This is obviously because there is no notch for 200D in the Kodak Super 8 Cartridge system. The choice was either a 160D notch or a 250D notch or either overexpose the film or underexpose the film by 1/3 of a stop.

Scroll down fro table of available notches for Kodak Cartridges: http://super8man.filmshooting.com/super8_35.html

I assume that the Fujifilm 100D Velvia is notched exactly like the Kodak Ektachrome 100D (0.500 of an inch from the center of the Kodapak Cartridge).

. I don't know for sure because I haven't opened that package yet.

Edited by Richard Hadfield

Yes, the Aviphot is notched as 250d. Daniel Wittner says they experimented with both options (160d and 250d) and found that while it didn't matter that much, 250d was on balance better.

The Velvia 100d and the Astia 100d are both notched the same as Ektachrome 100d.

Yes. It rocks on 16mm. I don't have anything digitized yet, though, but just love it.

In fact, I loved it os much that I ordered 2400ft of it in 16mm for about $400. See Wittner's current offer above, the cans they sell (containing two winds with 1200ft each) are "as the come" from Mortsel, Belgium. 16mm 1R, runs like a charme -- just have a dry splicer handy.

Wittner's latest volume discount:

Buy 30 packages, pay only 299.00 EUR per package.

Really, that's only about 50 EUR per 400 ft. of 16mm color reversal film (incl. German VAT 19%). It doesn't really get cheaper than this I think...

• 3 weeks later...

This is very impressive, the colours and texture look great. I am going to use this stock in 16mm very soon. Where did you have the film processed and scanned?

Pav

These examples were not shot by me. However, from the description of the latter video:

"Shot with Bell & Howell 200's using a 10mm Switar. Loaded by Retrocine.com. Developed by Dwayne's Photo. Telecine by Spectra Film & Video.

This film has an Estar base, which is thinner than acetate. It seems to run through the 200's much more smoothly (ie better registration) than thicker acetate films."

I don't know. I'm sorry to say but it's just not that pleasant to me. This footage just seemed kinda flat with the only punchy color being the green so it looked out of place. Plus, the grain is significant. It kinda reminds me of the Ektachrome 160 of the 70s and 80s. I guess any reversal is better than no reversal with the demise of all remaining Kodak and Fuji reversals. But, nothing will ever come close to E100D or V100D. And even those will never touch Kodakchrome 40. All so sad.

But, I like projectable color reversal. So, I will buy and use this. It IS decent.

• Upvote 1

I like this stock, there's a nice look to it, a unique realness, something that's missing in most modern stocks especially digital. I am definitely going to use it, buying it from Germany shouldn't really be an issue. My only concern is how to get it processed here in the UK, now that will be difficult.

Pav