New Agfa S8 and 16mm 200D color reversal stocks from Wittner Cinetec

• 7 months later...

Has anyone been keeping tabs on the availability of 16mm Agfa 200D reversal in the US? This thread hasn't seen any activity since July, so I'm curious if any additional dealers are carrying it now, or if there's a dealer or lab in particular that has the best price for the film stock or a film/processing package. I'd like to give it a try and dust off the 16mm projector :)

There was some concern about using this film in certain cameras on account of its Estar base. Are these concerns valid, or have there been few issues so far? I'm just curious if it would be safe to use in an Aaton or Arri SR series camera.

Finally, is the 200D primarily sold on 100' daylight spools, or is 400' on core also available?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

That's a nice stock! The color saturation is lovely. The one drawback I see is that it's a bit too grainy for a 200 ASA.

Did you use any filtration or push-processing? Some of the shots had a bit of a glow about them, but maybe it was just lens flare.

• 1 month later...

It appears Wittner is sold out of this stock . Does anyone know anywhere that sells it in bulk now??? Don't want to buy dozens of 100' spools from anyone if I can buy bulk and spool down.

Also...Estar base going to mess up a K3? I'm not sure I understand why it's so dangerous using Estar base stocks. Pressure on pull-down?

The problem with the ACL in the above post is interesting. I owned an ACL in the early 80's and it had the exact same problem. I had bought it used from a dealer and ended up returning the camera and getting an Arri SR instead. I have since bought another French built Éclair ACL and it does not have this issue. I'd still love to know what causes it. Can someone here point me towards that discussion in the Éclair forum?

It looks like light bouncing off the oscillating mirror when the light comes from the front. It seems not like any motor or mechanical issue to me. Is the inside of the camera between the lens and the film gate sufficiently blacked with matte paint, also the sides of the mirror/shutter?

Good you found it. An old trick is to make a very small flashlight, just a bulb and a battery with switch, switch it on, lay it inside the camera, and then sit in a darkroom with the camera on your lap for a few minutes. Any light coming out of the camera will show the leak.