Holding positions when shoulder mounted?

Berry Spinx

Is it common practice to sit on something such as a stool or apple boxes in order to hold a shot of someone that is at a different height than you if you were standing upright?

Also, any tips/techniques for shooting shoulder mounted? I will be using an easyrig so that will help with the weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Use anything you can, Ive seen platforms built, operators sitting on Sliders anything that gets you where you need to be.

I will say the Operators that Ive worked with that I repect wouldnt be seen with an Easy Rig. Camera Operating is about controling the camera, with you lose the more technology you put in the way, including long handle bars that remove you from the central weight of the camera.

Please take this with a pinch of salt this is just my ethos.

Easy rigs can be a back saver for sure. Its all in the application of the tool, there's definitely a time a place for it. If I need to hold a shot slightly lower than my height, instead of bending my knees to get lower, I spread my legs and lock them out. That way my quads don't burn out during the shot. I also have a Hip Shot and that shoot reality from. http://www.hipshot.tv/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Don't try this at home. I'm a professional idiot! Bought a butt dolly. Used it on a shoot. Loved it at first. Then it tried to kill me and almost wrecked the camera. Went back to other options for that shoot. (Office chair) Now when I use it I make sure I have a burly assistant or three spotting me. The lack of drag on the wheels coupled with the top heavy nature of shoulder mounting, especially with the long rods, makes for a precariously off balance situation. I would suggest having said burly assistant actually move the unit with you on it instead of trying to do it with your feet. That sucker will shoot out from under you faster than you can say " Oh S..T!!". I'm not kidding dear friends...dinog