Sign in to follow this  
antoinefromparis

Filter question

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find the name of the filter used in django unchained to make the candles look "magical" (yes, I guess it's the best word I can come up with) when the two heroes try to buy Broomhilda from Candyland. Throughout the evening the light from the candles creates these white blobs that make the whole sequence really dreamy.

You can view an example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcIkie8KQyA

Could you guys tell me what is this filter called?

Also there is another filter I am looking for which is used in "A Good Day to Die Hard" which is coming this weekend. When Kamarov is in the nuke vault in Chernobyl, the work lights emit some extreme horizontal blue lens flare. I couldn't tell for sure if this was a filter or done in post, but if it is a filter I'd like to know which one it is. I could find a video of this on youtube but if someone goes to see the film let me know if you know any filter that can do that.

Thanks

First off Antoine, you need to change your display name to your real first and last name. It's a forum rule.

The halation around the candles in Django... is from the Nets that Robert Richardson used on the lens throughout the movie.

Horizontal blue flares sounds like Anamorphic flares, though they are likely either from a blue streak filter, or a post production effect, as Die Hard was shot Super35, not anamorphic (at least according to IMDB)