Par vs. Fresnel vs. Open Faced vs. Redhead

Hi everybody!

I am a film student and aspiring DP whose especially interested in lighting. I'm still learning the basics and one step along the way is to get familiar with the types of lights: their specific qualities and differences, best situations for each, common brands, etc. So far I have noticed these categories: Par, Fresnel, Open Faced and Redhead. What are the unique qualities and common uses for each category of light? Are there any other types than these?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Babette

Mark, I couldn't agree more. I'm currently interning at a lighting and grip house, and luckily have those opportunities. I was looking more for general tips and tricks that are shared between fellow cinematographers. Am I in the wrong place; is there another section of the forum reserved just for that?

Thanks in advance.

The light of a Fresnel has the sharpest edges, and the most even beam-spread. So the quality of the light is very good, and can be used to light directly at an object/actor. You can control the beam from spot to flood.

A PAR (parabolic aluminized reflector) has lesser light quality (the shadow patterns are not as sharp for example) but they usually generate more output for the same wattage. So for example, a 4K Arrisun (= PAR) should have more light output than a 4K Fresnel HMI. Because the quality of the light is poorer, they're normally used through diffusers.

An open face is created purely for its output, and has the poorest light quality of the tree. They're generally used with bounces or also through diffusers.

A redhead is an example of an open face armature.