First Short lighting

Hi everyone I am new to the site I was actually referred here by my cousin who used to live in LA. He said this site would e a useful tool to while I go through film school.

Anyway I am shooting my first 3 minute short for a class this semester. I really want my piece to show my professors my potential as a director which means I need really good lighting.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on lighting my set. The short takes place in a dark empty room the only thing visible would be poker table. The short is a high stakes poker game between a mobster, his grunts and their victim who is playing for his life. So I want dark backgrounds and fast falloffs on the mobster Any suggestions are much appreciated and thank you in advance

• Premium Member

What comes to my mind from your description is a single source such as a china ball directly over the table with a black material
draped over the top to cut down the top light. Depending on how far the backgound is from each actor, you may need to light
It separately to hold some detail. Two poker scenes you might want to check out, one from "A river runs through it" &
"Michael Clayton".
I don't know what your film school situation is like, but you should consider teaming up with another student whose interest
is in cinematography, & collaborate with them. Collaboration is a big part of the filmmaking process.

thank you I will check those out. The thing about collaboration is the class s a little competitve and I dont mean to sound cocky but as far as cinematography goes i think I have the most experience. Thank you for the tips

thank you I will check those out. The thing about collaboration is the class s a little competitve and I dont mean to sound cocky but as far as cinematography goes i think I have the most experience. Thank you for the tips

This isn't secret sauce info- common lighting so despite what you think about the class you really need to take a step back and collaborate, even with those you think don't have as much "experience" as you do. Grab another student and tell him that you found info on this site suggesting a China ball with a skirt as well as suggestions on scenes to watch.