"The Rose Maker" (student film)

Hi,

I've posted this in a thread related specifically to the Ektachrome 100D film stock, but I'm looking for more feedback. This is a sample reel of footage shot for my undergraduate capstone film project, "The Rose Maker." It's a 12-minute fairy tale shot on Ektachrome with an Eclair ACL and various lenses, primarily in a studio lit by HMIs covered with Roscoe theatre gels (lavenders, blues, and yellows mostly), with tungsten lights used to simulate firelight. Exteriors were shot with the bare sun; various ND filters, an orange grad filter, and a Roscoe red gel employed like a filter were used in front of the lens.

I'm the director of this project, not the cinematographer, but any feedback would be extremely helpful to me for learning what to ask a DP about, what to be careful of, how to anticipate what something might look like when I can't see the film, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any notes to give? Anything about colour especially would be welcome, as the next job with the footage (once our editor does her job) is colour correction. We went with Ektachrome I00D specifically because of its saturation level, in an effort to replicate a Technicolour look without having to meddle too much in post. Our school has Apple's Colour and Adobe After Effects to use, and I can't say that I've really enjoyed the results that our colour timer has achieved with those programs when working with images originated on film.

• 1 year later...