Ikonoskop anamorphic

Mael Robijns

Hi,

does anybody know if 35mm x2 anamorphic primes can be used with the Ikonoskop.
Like the Lomo PL- anamorphic prime lenses for example?

I know I'll need to pillar box.

x1.33 or x1.5 hawk anamorphics aren't easily found in my country.

Yes they will work - but you might find the focal lengths availible quite limiting.

The ikon is quite low resolution - sub 1080 by the time you debayer, so with a big crop your going to be looking at rather soft images.

Combined with the general problems associated with the ikon, its not the most stable camera in the world. I would look into using another camera.

O, I didn't know it could be quiet unstable.
Soft if it's okay soft, it's not a huge problem. We are going to add grain anyway. (By the way anybody who knows best 'professional' way to do this? We were thinking about using cinegrain "software")

I am indeed a bit scared on the field of view aspect. Since anamorphic's are rarely very wide and the ikonoskop's smaller sensor...

We would need some tight shots in cars etc.
So probably isn't ideal. But the renting price is student friendly.

RED EPIC? (shooting daylight and nighttime)

• Premium Member

"Since anamorphic's are rarely very wide"

That's not quite true. For example, a standard 2x squeeze anamorphic 50mm lens has the horizontal coverage of a 25mm lens. I have a 35mm Lomo that looks like an 18mm when it's unsqueezed, pretty wide.

"Since anamorphic's are rarely very wide"

That's not quite true. For example, a standard 2x squeeze anamorphic 50mm lens has the horizontal coverage of a 25mm lens. I have a 35mm Lomo that looks like an 18mm when it's unsqueezed, pretty wide.

Yes, but I meant in conjunction with the small sensor that it isn't very wide.

Raising the Db level above and beyond 0Db on the Ikonoskop A-Cam DII, you will get grain that looks organic IMO. I wasn't impressed when I tried overlaying the cinegrain files on top of my A-Cam footage...

So cinegrain is not a good option?

What is a good option for grain?

Real bummer that the Ikonoskop doesn't have 60fps, we need some slow mo shots. Bummer because I like the look of the ikonoskop.

So cinegrain is not a good option?

What is a good option for grain?

Real bummer that the Ikonoskop doesn't have 60fps, we need some slow mo shots. Bummer because I like the look of the ikonoskop.

Maybe I should have not totally downplayed cinegrain like I did in the above post. However, I did come across it at one point, went through all the files and overlayed them over the prores hq rendered Ikonoskop clips to see the results and really thought it was more trouble than it was worth. The A-Cam DII ccd outputs a pretty organic image from the get go. Raising the gain level on the camera to a maximum of 12db will produce a very grainy image, whereas 0db being a very clean one. I mean, you don't get the variable lines/scratches from film stock from the in/camera gain levels, but you do get what I think looks like organic film grain when you bump up the gain/db.

Since I like the look of the Ikonoskop.
And it's budget friendly to rent. I was thinking about using a second camera for the slowmo shot (just for one day).
Also a not too expensive camera to rent, a Canon HDSLR with PL-mount. (PL-mount because of the anamorphics)
My Concern is if it will blend with all the rest of the Ikonoskop footage?