Lighting Tri-x with no electricity

JayneAmaraRoss

Hello everyone,

I am planning to shoot in a very isolated location, accessible only by foot (after a few hours of walking, and over uneven terrain).

The location is a small abandonned cottage in the North of England. There will be a working fireplace and the room should appear to be lit by this source, and a few candles only.

I need your advice/experience on finding an appropriate way of lighting the scene without electricity. I have thought about battery-run torches & triple-wick candles, and push-processing.

I will be shooting on super 8 tri-x film (200 ISO) with a 4008 beaulieu camera and Schneider 6-66mm lens (max aperture: 1.8).

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks a-million,

Jayne

Shoot a faster film with lower contrast. That lighting sounds tricky (but doable) for Vision 500T. Tri-X is a PAIN to light correctly in low light. It's only got 1-1/2 stops of lattitude total. (3/4 up, 3/4 down)

If you want B&W, turn the saturation to 0 in post. Unless your workflow has you editing on film, you'll save yourself a ton of headaches down the line.

Other advice would be to make sure you've got a reflector in the fireplace. No need to waste any light. If you can dress the set, large mirrors or brass shields on stands to bounce light might help some.

I LOVE Tri-X!

I can see why people are sensibly advising you to shoot on Vision stock but please don't shoot colour just to accommodate one low lighting set-up. It simply won't look the same and the properties of Tri-X are virtually magical to my eyes.

Just buy a lot of cheap portable flicker-free LED lights* and batteries off of eBay plus use two or three reflectors add a few more candles in shot and shoot it all on Tri-X.

* Try shooting a test cartridge at home with the lights beforehand, you will get a good idea of what is actually achievable then.

I've been shooting nothing but tri-x at sxsw this week. Definitely have a few underexposed night exteriors. Should be fine I think, but I'll let you know after I get everything processed. Shooting a test roll with various lighting conditions is really the best advice.

Wow, thanks guys for all your useful replies! :)

I LOVE TRI-X TOO Bill!!! What a beautiful stock! I have been shooting it and processing it by hand for years.

What kind of an autonomy can I expect from LED lights with portable batteries?

How far would you guys push-process if that was my only solution?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Jayne,

I see someone else here has also suggested LED lights - I guess you got my post at film labs on hiring the LED lights of the sort that go on the top of ENG cameras for news work - the rectangular ones that use an array of LEDs so its a spread light.

These are light, flat and retangular so could lend themselves to being taped to something handy or even hand held rather than needing a tripod or stand and lifting the overall amount of light.

I would've thought it would be straightforward to hire one of two of them with a battery or two and charger or perhaps I'm a bit out of touch. I have to confess I don't know how long one battery would last operating a couple of these so perhaps two or three batteries would be better - depends on how else much you are carrying in to the location.

Thanks to the exploding DSLR market there are now loads of portable LED lights that are cheaply available on-line.

In all honesty I would try to avoid pushing Tri-X more than a stop and concentrate on using portable lighting.

I strongly advise experimenting with a few examples and examining the end results.

They don't cost a fortune and you can always use them again.

Pushing reversal film is not advisable unless you have seen the results and are happy with them. As I understand it, the Beaulieu cameras are good in low light even with f1,8 beinmg the widest aperture. Here is a film shot on a 5008 with Ekatchrome 64T in low light - look at the later scenes outdoors - I think they only had hand held lights - but not really sure. https://vimeo.com/1471613

However I am not that experienced with using Beaulieu cameras myself, but Tri-X is good for medium low light situations and not very good in real low light situations.

I agree that you shoudl do some tests - some pushed and some with LED portalamps and see what results you get and see if YOU are happy with the results.

• Upvote 1

Brave woman. I admire you. I shot this straight8 under insane conditions over one long night in NYC's subways. It all came out, but I think even underground I had more light than you will have.

Edited by Matt Stevens

Jayne you could also get a light gun on ebay, these things work wonders and if you get two or even three, then your got ghetto hollywood lighting lol, the LEDs are cool I just used one 2 days ago however my friends were shooting DSLR. Whats cool about the LED light kit I used was the fact the there were 2 cranks for hot and cold lighting on the side, it got me thinking about LED lighting and I am def gonna buy one of those and try to mix it up with my light guns.

old super 8 light guns work wonders and charms and so do the LEDs ( the newer little brother to the old school light guns)

I say if you have the bread use em both if your got budget go straight for the LED lights, if you got time and a budget for the super8 light guns on eBay

Sidenote: as a fellow new yorker super 8 enthusiast Matt, that is AWESOME! shooting in the subway can be disastrous, at least for me, now I know, put it manual and keep it wide at 2, but yeah Tri-X is awesome

Question: was there ever like a superior b&w film stock for super 8 like Eastman Double for 16mm and 35mm.. What was Plus X?

Does Fuji have a b&w 8mm stock?

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr

Rudy, thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't thought of that - I will check out those old super 8 guns on ebay now.

A friend of mine has just suggested gasoline lamps... like this : http://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/terre/eclairage/lanterne-a-gaz/lanterne-f1-lite.html another avenue to explore!

Thanks for the video Matt, it looks great!!!

Here's my contribution (tri-x beaulieu 5008 and canon 814 - then hand-processed) with various lighting situations:

http://vimeo.com/14898901