RAW : Canon 5D mark 2

• Premium Member

I think the HDMI output is uncompressed but it sure isn't RAW, it would be 8-bit 4:2:2 YUV... I also don't think you can get a clean signal from the HDMI (without frame lines and markers, etc.) and I think the Mk II drops to 480P when you hit record for the HDMI output.

With an April 2013 firmware upgrade, the Mk III allows a clean 1080P HDMI signal for external recording, but again, it is still 8-bit 4:2:2, not RAW.

• Premium Member

You can't switch off the overlays w/ 5Dmark2, so you have to crop the image. it is fully possible to record the hdmi output with good resolution when in standby mode, but I can't see the point because the pixel count ends up being really weird after cropping and it's still 8-bit output. Plus you get all the difficulties of external recorders etc.

With Mk3 external recording may be practical, but definitely not with Mk2 <_<

#you can get about 1616 x 854 pixels after cropping when in Live view "exposure simulation" mode and about 1619 x 768 pixels when in "movie display" mode. Attached images recorded with Hyperdeck Shuttle using camera's hdmi output. :)

Movie mode: 8551079915_77632f44f4_c.jpg

Exposure simulation mode:

8551080189_4a7c83f533_b.jpg

(that moiré is just 5D2 behaving badly with the lcd screen grid, nothing tho do with the external recording)

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member

PLUS the framerate from the hdmi output is always 29,97fps interlaced, no matter what framerate chosen in camera (definitely an issue in PAL area). And you can get some random flicker with

discharge lamps when using exposure simulation mode.

But it's still uncompressed 8-bit 422, tho :ph34r:

Edited by aapo lettinen

WIKI:

"The 21 megapixel sensor is down-sampled to HD resolution by only using every third line and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling"

I think even with a external recorder which can do 4:2:2 storing your still not going to get 4:2:2 until the update and I think that's for the MKIII only, (not to sure)

if you want a cheapish RAW camera look into the BM Cine Camera.

• 3 months later...

Let's revive this thread... because now there is a proper answer to the OPs question.

Answer: Magic Lantern with 1000x speed 64gb Komputerbay cards.

And it's looking mighty fine, apart from the no sound issue :)

www.vimeo.com/groups/raw

As of current Magic Lantern versions, it is possible to shoot Raw video on the Canon 5D Mark II continuously at 24fps 1856x1004 (1,85 aspect ratio) resolution.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

You need to download and install the latest nighly build for that camera.

• Premium Member

5D2 raw video has aliasing problems, just like the original h264 recordings. It's still line skipping sensor output, that can't be changed...

If the oddball resolutions, high storage demands and the more complicated workflow do not bother you, then I'd give it a shot :rolleyes:

You can get something like 8 to 10 minutes of footage to a single 32GB card... :ph34r:

Raw on the Mk3 is the only really practical one. You need 1000x cf cards. However they did just break the 14 stops of dynamic range barrier.

It's pretty sexy (for$3000) but it's all how you use it, just dont move fast and expose at it's sensors actual asa rating and it's pretty useful! Especially as a B-camera. Mixes well with others and you CAN slip it in with sony, red, specs on the sly.