KODAK 5219 500T

Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a film on Kodak's 5219 500T, and want to obtain a denser negative, but am not sure how far I can overexpose. I was thinking of exposing at 400, but wondered if it would be okay to go to 320...

I'm trying to achieve a lower contrast with minimal grain. Any advice would be great - I couldn't find any discussions about this, which is why I started a new topic.

Thanks -

z

In MY opinion, you could easily over expose 500T by a full stop at 250. In fact, if you don't have any extremely bright highlights, you might even be able to go two stops and expose as 125. But, I'd probably stick with 250 and then adjust in post if needed. Exposing at 400 you might not eve see a difference from 500.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I have to slightly disagree with everyone. +1 on 5219 is incredibly modest and not going to give a significantly different look. If you truly want low contrast and fine grain then a good place to begin would be +2 pull 1 stop, even +3 pull 2 (this will be more dramatic). I recently shot a music video +2 pull 1 and was disappointed with how subtle the result was. You will be happy to see highlights still handle excellently and even when "blown out" do not feel clippy and digital. Most importantly make sure to get a good scan and colorist, you'll be fine.

Obviously film isn't fool proof, but... it doesn't hurt once and awhile to tell yourself when you're getting nervous about an exposure "its film, be brave!". You're shooting film for a reason, make the most of it.

Have fun!

Would the same apply to the daylight stock 250? Shoot at 125? Or is it necessary to overexpose that stock by one full stop..

Are you over exposing to lower contrast or because you're scared of underexposing and thereby want a denser negative to "protect" yourself. If you're scared but don't want to build in a look, rate +1 and have no fear. If you actually want to build low contrast into your neg, overexpose more and pull the film. You could also look into savides' work on birth (and many others) where he uses underexposure and a slight pull to achieve low contrast and milky blacks.