Filming a 90 year old woman

• Premium Member

Shooting an interview with a prominent woman in her early 90's. hoping to make her look as beautiful as possible. We are shooting RED Epic, and I'm currently deliberating between the Angenieux Optimo 30-80 or the Canon 30-105. I want something relatively lightweight but not too sharp like I fear the RED zooms will be. Any other ideas out there? I might try to stay away from filtration and just have a couple Kino's pretty frontal on her.

Both the Angenieux & the Canon are modern zooms and are just as sharp as the RED lenses. If you want a softer zoom, try an old Cooke 18-100 or 25-250mm. You'll probably need to light to about f5.6 to get the best out of them, but they are lovely softer lenses (a little heavy though).

The Epic's 5k resolution is not going to help with minimising wrinkles either, so you should consider some lens diffusion. I like the Tiffen Soft FX filters because they reduce fine detail without too much halation around light sources. I'm sure others here have their favorites too.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I may use some BPM, but I think it frightens the post guys a little. Weight is a factor, otherwise I'd go with the Cooke. I haven't used the Canon or Optimo much, just wanted to get opinions on the sharpness. Guess I'll go see for myself. Thanks.

I don't know why lens diffusion would scare your post production people, unless you have greenscreen/vfx work going on as well, and even then it would have to be pretty heavy diffusion filter to make a difference. Using a #1 Soft FX or similar is only going to be noticeable in a side by side comparison with a clean lens.

You could always just not tell them....

• Premium Member

The 30-105 actually feels more Cooke-y than a 30-80 Rouge would. If it were a 28-76, I'd think it wouldn't be as harsh as a 30-80, but if it's between the two, I'd go with a 30-105. Aluras have that Zeiss-y sharpness. But a 30-105 with some Hollywood Black Magic or Classic Soft alone would do the trick.