Canon 310XL exposure with ND filter

Dave Span

I,m new to the analog filming and super 8 ,and before a ruin a film .. want to check things out first

i have a canon 310XL where the lightmeter is not after the lens, but on top of the cam , this cam ver sensitive to light lens f-1.0

i want to use it outside, i,m gone need a ND filter, but,the lightmeter does,t go through the ND... hmm ,for the right metering do i haven to put the ND filter also in front of the light meter ?

also i want to buy a canon 814xl that,s having the 9 frames options,so i got longer filming time,..are there many trade offs with this ,i don,t care if it,s gets more noise.. any thing else ? mayby footage goes fast on projector, but my plan is to slow it down in the edit

thanks,

This camera will only meter films up to 160ISO correctly and these would be alright outside without an ND. There's no manual adjustment so you can't use faster films. But yes, if you did need to use ND, you would have to put it on the meter window as well.

9fps is not fast enough for the normal rendering of movement.

The canon 310xl uses a nd4 filter only, then when on use pull the red tab up on the front top, which compensates for the lost light. It's not necessary to use the filter in daylight but helps with faster film.

Thanks for the replys i,bought this week-end also a Canon 814-XL ,better light meter through the lens ,and warning for overexpose,also more manual control

a want to use the 814xl with tri-x film ...any tips what or not to do

Make sure all the settings on the 814 are all set on normal and shoot at 18 frames per second. Since you are inexperienced with film I would let the camera make the exposure decisions for now. Don't under estimate the 310xl. If you have a good one the films are great.

• 2 weeks later...

This camera will only meter films up to 160ISO correctly and these would be alright outside without an ND. There's no manual adjustment so you can't use faster films. But yes, if you did need to use ND, you would have to put it on the meter window as well.

9fps is not fast enough for the normal rendering of movement.

The Canon 310XL can handle 40/160 & 250 actually