lip synching trouble with super8

david richardson

I hate live lip-syncing but I'm lost on a music video. I've shot it at 18 FPS and it got telescined at 25FPS. I think I should of made a seperate recording with a phone or something. I'm having difficulty getting it to fit. Is there some percentage I need to slow it down in post? Many thanks

• Premium Member

When you say telecined at 25FPS, do you mean they used something like metaspeed to translate the 18fps to 25? If so the speed should be about right... or did they run the film at 25 fps and do a 1 to 1 transfer? If it is a frame by frame transfer I think you can speed it up 28% or so and be good.

For future reference, always shoot sound synced film at 24fps (25 in Europe) and transfer at the same rate so these issues don't come up, or at least it's a little easier to deal with.

Not to mention without crystal sync your super8 camera will run at random speeds. It will not be a consistent 18 fps. I did a continuous take short on 100D called F--- FACEBOOK and had to slide the audio back and forth depending on each line. I knew that going in.

Crystal Sync for many Super-8mm cameras is alive and well!

Pricing may seem high to some but you should know our fees for the camera conversion and the CCU (crystal control unit) have not gone up in over 20 years!

This is a custom service. Each camera is done on an individual basis and all work is guaranteed.

http://www.webtfg.com/sync8.htm