music video grading question

Miguel S

Hi Forum Members,

I'm a student who has shot a music video on a Canon 7D. It was asked of me to achieve a color grade similar to the one in this video:

From what I'm looking at it seems like there is a bit more than just overall desaturation going on with the entire image. There appears to be a black and white grade that coexists with blue elements in the band members. In the past I've used the three way color corrector in FCP a bit but only to do very basic colorization such as making the shadows a bit blue. I have Magic Bullet Looks but many of the presets even after tweaking severly erode the colors of the footage. Any advice on what direction to go towards in achieving a result close to the example would help. I've transcoded my 1080 footage to 720p60.

• Premium Member

I'm sure you could approximate that in a 3-way corrector, although being a Photoshop guy, for preference, I tend to use curves (though they don't do overall saturation changes). It's just very desaturated, very contrasty, and slightly blue in the midtones. Nothing outlandish about it.

P