Strong Flashlight for Lens flares

I sometimes use led flashlights in my hand close to the lens to create lens flares. I like having it in my hand so I can bring the flare in and out as I like. It works well and I like the effect, but I need to find a much stronger one so I can use for ext day scenes(or any scene where I am stopped down or ND'd down quite a bit). The usual LED flashlights that are in the 90 lumen range just don't work in those situations. Does anyone know of or use a flashlight that is more in the 900 lumen range(or more) that is still small enough to hold in one hand and manipulate while shooting?

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you all!

It doesn't give a ton of flexibility to it that way. Plus you have to be in just the right position to the sun and I can't control it myself which I find crucial with lens flares because a cm in either direction can make huge difference in the quality and strength of the flare.

• Premium Member

I'm sure I've seen flashlights based on the 35W metal halide lighting technology that's used in car headlights. You can certainly get the lamps and control gear; perhaps you could rig something up (though watch the UV, if you go the DIY route, as I'm not sure that the bulbs themselves are shielded).

P