Protecting blacks with RED Epic (and other digital cameras)

Alex Mansfield

Hi all,

Wanted to get some advice and thoughts on the best way to approach lighting and shooting a scene with selective exposure.

I want to partially expose a shot, and keep other parts in shadow. This is for a dramatic short in which that sort of low-key and contrasty lighthing will best reflect the mood. My concern is protecting the blacks in the shadows from noise. I will be using RED Epic.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am still learning.

Many thanks,

Alex

• Premium Member

Hi all,

Wanted to get some advice and thoughts on the best way to approach lighting and shooting a scene with selective exposure.

I want to partially expose a shot, and keep other parts in shadow. This is for a dramatic short in which that sort of low-key and contrasty lighthing will best reflect the mood. My concern is protecting the blacks in the shadows from noise. I will be using RED Epic.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am still learning.

Many thanks,

Alex

The shadows will only become noisy if you try to brighten the image. Ideally don't compress more than 5:1

• Premium Member

If you plan on timing for a high-contrast image with very dark shadows, then generally you should be fine in terms of noise if you pick a conservative ISO and compression level -- it's only when you end up trying to lift up detail in the shadows because you didn't use enough fill on some object that you have the potential of bringing out noise. In other words, if you light a little flatter and add more contrast in post, crushing the blacks a bit, you are less likely to have noisy shadows than if you did the opposite, shot too contrasty and tried to lift the shadows in post. And of course the base ISO will set a basic noise level. You may also want to rate the camera slightly slower in 3200K light than 5600K light.

If you plan on timing for a high-contrast image with very dark shadows, then generally you should be fine in terms of noise if you pick a conservative ISO and compression level -- it's only when you end up trying to lift up detail in the shadows because you didn't use enough fill on some object that you have the potential of bringing out noise. In other words, if you light a little flatter and add more contrast in post, crushing the blacks a bit, you are less likely to have noisy shadows than if you did the opposite, shot too contrasty and tried to lift the shadows in post. And of course the base ISO will set a basic noise level. You may also want to rate the camera slightly slower in 3200K light than 5600K light.

David just curious why is this? It this because digital sensors are always looking for enough "quality/ decent" light in the blue channel but never really get enough? So shooting in 3200k light will introduce more noise into the blue channel than one would obviously get by shooting in a bluer light (like 5600k).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

David just curious why is this? It this because digital sensors are always looking for enough "quality/ decent" light in the blue channel but never really get enough? So shooting in 3200k light will introduce more noise into the blue channel than one would obviously get by shooting in a bluer light (like 5600k).