New Blackmagic cameras

Freya Black

You probably already all know this already but Blackmagic are about to announce the Blackmagic production camera 4k. A 4k camera for 4k. ($4000) with ACTIVE MFT mount

Also the pocket cinema camera for $999. Yes that is only 3 digits.

I'm working on a little red shark thing about it but the editor is asleep in Vegas and I wanted to share! :)

Freya

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Aren't people still waiting for the 2k model to ship?

I'd be pissed if I ordered a year ago and still didn't have it then they come out with this..

Probably not as pissed as hitler!

I know I am trying to change my order (from the 2.5K micro 4/3 to the pocket camera).

4 grand for 4K is tempting, but I'll wait until they are taking orders for the version with a proper PL mount (or someone sets up an aftermarket modification service).

What a great use for all that great Super 16 glass that is floating around.

• Premium Member

I'm thinking the same thing Dwight. I canceled my BMCC-MFT order as soon as I saw these, because, well I don't NEED it, yet, and I can't justify re-investing in lenses when I have a set of S16 glass sitting in a case. 'Course, lord knows when it'll actually ship and with something that small i worry about overheating ect... but or 1K I figure I can take the risk and make the money back be either reselling if I hate it, or on one or two rentals/kit fees.

I think the little camera is going to be awesome. It's little and cute. It shoots in 1080p pro-res so straightforward for post and yes huge choice of lenses.

The only major bad I'm seeing is the microphone socket instead of a line in. :(

Sound may be an issue.

Don't forget to check out my new article! :)

2 new cameras from Blackmagic. Earth wobbles twice on its axis.

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/615-2-new-cameras-from-blackmagic-earth-wobbles-twice-on-its-axis

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

From what I saw there is no timecode as well... I understand that they want to keep it small and cheap but why make an expansion connection that I can add all those "pro" features (ie xlr audio inputs, timecode, usb connection for a mini bluetooth keyboard for metadata input, etc) I think that would make this a "real" camera that totally usable in the field with multi able cameras...

Just a thought.

• Premium Member

Do someone know where there is a good test of it:-)?

The new cameras are still in early beta, so no footage yet.

John Brawley is testing them during their development. Read his detailed article on his blog:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/the-pocket-rocket-blackmagic-downsizes-the-bmcc-and-does-a-4k-upsize-of-the-orginal/

And see also:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=59502

Hey guys.

Yeshhh! I'm about to order mine.
But first, dumb question for some.... Trying to figure out the possibilities using STANDARD 16mm Lenses.
There's a limit, I know. But I wonder in this S16 sensor of the pocket camera, what would be the widest 16mm could be used on this little wonder?
Also, would be possible to use an adapter for the Arri ST Lens on it?

Thanks!

Hey guys.

Yeshhh! I'm about to order mine.

But first, dumb question for some.... Trying to figure out the possibilities using STANDARD 16mm Lenses.

There's a limit, I know. But I wonder in this S16 sensor of the pocket camera, what would be the widest 16mm could be used on this little wonder?

Thanks!

As I remember they used to say that you were safe down to about 25mm, beyond that it would depends on the lens.

Arri ST should be no problem if you can find the right adapter. The advantage of mft mount is that it is a very shallow mount and so can take a lot of different lenses via adapters. This is the big reason I'm really excited by it.

Freya

There are Arri to MFT adapters.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-arri-s-lens-to-micro-4-3-mft-system-camera-lens-mount-adapter-v2-w-aperture-control-dial-fits-olympus-pen-e-pl1-e-p2-e-p3-e-p1-e-pl2-e-pl3-panasonic-lumix-dmc-g1-g2-g3-gh2-gf1-gf2-gf3-gh1-gh2-gh3-g10.html

There might be a run on these in a few months.

All the lenses will probably WORK. But the wide ones will vignette. So no 5.7mm lenses. You should be fine with any 12mm or longer lenses. Most 9mm lenses would probably work also.

, what would be the widest 16mm could be used on this little wonder?

Thanks!

So the new 4K Blackmagic could handle a 10-100 Zeiss lens made for Standard 16mm given a proper mount?

Well 10 is less than 25 so I'm afraid it would depend on the lens.

Some of the Standard 16mm lenses were good for super16 anyway, others not and it varied from lens to lens.

With a zoom you might find you get issues at the wider end.

Freya

The new cameras are still in early beta, so no footage yet.

John Brawley is testing them during their development. Read his detailed article on his blog:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/the-pocket-rocket-blackmagic-downsizes-the-bmcc-and-does-a-4k-upsize-of-the-orginal/

And see also:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=59502

Thanks Peter:-).

Henrik

www.henrikameyer.com

• Premium Member

My computer almost exploded trying to watch the 4K on chrome..and I got a fast one two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvbU2GZLyRc

Just to be clear, this example is 2.5K BMCC footage, (poorly) up-converted to 4K in post, then compressed, and uploaded to YouTube. An example of 4K footage, but not an example of it done well.

In any event, acquiring footage at 4K resolution for distribution at 4K at isn't the only use for 4K (or higher resolution) cameras. In fact, for a while yet, that'll be one of the least common uses for these cameras.

People have been shooting 4K for awhile now, and a lot of it is either cropped or down-sized to 1080p for a variety of reasons. And that's how I plan to use the BMPC-4K I pre-ordered this week.

To get a feel for what it'll be like working with 4K footage, I did a quick test on my 3 yr. old MacBook Pro with a 7200 rpm SATA-3 HDD, using the free version of Davinci Resolve Lite 9.1 and FCP7 to up-convert John Brawley's original BMCC 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW files (the original source for the clip in your YouTube example) to 4K ProRes HQ @ ~650 megabits/sec. The resulting 4K ProRes HQ clips play smoothly w/o dropped frames & edit easily in my old version of FCP7 on my old hardware.

Note the BMPC-4K may initially only include ProRes HQ recording (4K & 1080p), with its compressed CinemaDNG RAW 4K feature enabled soon after via a free firmware update. Depending on when BMD actually starts shipping the cameras, it they might include both recording formats from the beginning. We shall see.