NAB 2013: Blackmagic

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

I suspect that, since I had to spend ten minutes walking back from the press conference in south hall to the newsroom, this will be old news to the twitter generation, but anyway - here's the 4K camera:

post-29-0-95161200-1365442124_thumb.jpg

OK, they've written their own headline - 4K for $4k, but here's what's really interesting - it's got a global shutter. Apparently not quite such good dynamic range as the existing Blackmagic cinema camera, but I'd much prefer the global shutter option in most circumstances.

This we like. More about BMD's other innovations anon, as I now have to go and do something to do with the ICG. I wonder if they shoot on sight.

P

• Upvote 1

Gotta check but I think it's the little one that comes with resolve lite. The 4k camera has the full resolve???

Sadly no MFT mount on the 4k camera, only EF and a future PL mount planned.

The good news is that the little pocket cam comes with an ACTIVE MFT mount!!! :)

Freya

I suspect that, since I had to spend ten minutes walking back from the press conference in south hall to the newsroom, this will be old news to the twitter generation, but anyway - here's the 4K camera

Was kind of old news while you were asleep last night to be honest! ;)

Nice piccy tho! :)

Freya

• Premium Member

New: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K (active EF mount) website, and press release.

New: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 1080p (active MFT mount) website, and press release.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K (active EF & passive MFT mounts) website.

• Premium Member

...cAnyone know if Davinci Resolve will come with it?

The full version of Resolve will be included with the BMPC-4K.

Resolve Lite will be included with BMPCC.

The full version of Resolve is included with BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT.

Reportedly, owners of the full version of Resolve get a free upgrade to the new Resolve 10 announced this week.

• Premium Member

it apparently uses a ccd ...

John Brawley has confirmed that the BMPC-4K uses a CMOS global shutter sensor from a new supplier (not the company who makes the sensor for the original BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT.)

• Premium Member

Dan Chung & Matthew Allard have good preliminary "explainer" videos (note: the sales person mis-speaks on a few points; refer to the links in my previous post above for more accurate official info):

BMPC-4K:

BMPCC:

Davinci Resolve 10:

2 new cameras from Blackmagic. Earth wobbles twice on its axis.

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/615-2-new-cameras-from-blackmagic-earth-wobbles-twice-on-its-axis

My new article on the Black magic cameras finally went live while I was asleep!

I'm still completely exhausted from it all.

I'm really excited by these cameras especially the cute little one. :)

Might not come across so much as I needed sleep badly by the time I was writing it!

Freya

I think it will assist with pushing the price down a bit on future cinema camera's.

Seem BM know what they are doing.

Anyone know if Davinci Resolve will come with it?

Since the image size of the pocket camera is less than 2K you can use the lite version. The 2.5K camera requires the full version of Resolve.

• Premium Member

I detect no terran axial rotatory excursion.

The 4K was widely anticipated. The pocket version merely competes with GoPro (though it will not be difficult for it to be considerably better than GoPro).

The global shutter is by far the best feature.

P

• Premium Member

Hi Phil! Thanks for your reports.

I've added my name to the pre-order waiting lists for the new BM Production Camera 4K. I'm also on the BMCC-MFT pre-order waiting lists. Haven't decided yet which one I'll actually buy.

• Premium Member

Refer to Grant Petty's comments from NAB last week on the topic of compressed & uncompressed RAW CinemaDNG, after the 7:30 point in this video ...

Meanwhile, John Brawley confirmed just yesterday that a 3rd party anti-aliasing OLPF filter (probably user-installable) is coming "very soon". I suspect it'll be for the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT model cam first because their sensors are identical & the BMCC is shipping now. I'd expect a similar filter will be available for the new BMPC-4K camera's S35 size sensor farther out, probably not until sometime after the camera ships "by the end of July 2013". Stay tuned ...

EDIT: Today, JB posted further clarification: "I know of two solutions being developed. They aren't necessarily OLPFs." Interesting! See:

https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/323544669952819202

Gotta check but I think it's the little one that comes with resolve lite. The 4k camera has the full resolve???

Sadly no MFT mount on the 4k camera, only EF and a future PL mount planned.

The good news is that the little pocket cam comes with an ACTIVE MFT mount!!! :)

Freya

No MFT isn't sad, it's logical since MFT lenses won't cover a super-35 sensor.

That said, e-mount or starting with PL mount would have been far more logical than EF mount, since both would have included everyone who had an interest in a 4K camera, rather than limiting their market to Canon SLR users.