What labs are still open for neg processing?

I know that the lights are now all but turned off (or is it on?) all over Australia/NZ as far as labs are concerned, and I see on this forum that there are only a couple operating in the UK still. Just to help with something I'm writing, it would be great if people could let me know if they still have labs (and which ones) still providing a commercial negative processing service in their part of the world. And how that compares with (say) a couple of years ago.

This might also prove useful to other people on this forum.

Thanks in anticipation.

The big labs;

Technicolor - London [ECN2] [about to close]

I Labs - London ECN2

Bucks Media - London [ECN 2]

Prestech Film Labs - London [black and white]

Film and Photo - London [E6 and Black and white]

Smaller labs;

No.w.here - London [black and white]

Gaugefilm - Dudley [black and white and E6 16mm and Super 8]

SPS - Birmingham [super 8 only special order]

There maybe a few more.

P

Film and Photo also process ECN2

Brian

Are they actually still in business then Brian ?

Their website hasn't changed for ages, their price list is 2 years old and their 'items for sale' page is 8 years old.

I emailed them about a year ago and never got a reply so assumed they'd shut down.

John S :(

Hello everyone,

I´m new here but have been reading the Forum posts for quite some time and now felt compelled to chime in.

In Sweden there´s STOPP, a Postproduction house with their own in-house ECN2 processing and 2 or 4K scanning. They do beautiful work and the lab is run by industry veteran Ali Boriri.

http://www.stopp.se/

I believe this is pretty much what´s left as far as commercial film labs go in scandinavia. :-(

About twenty years ago there were three labs still up and running in Stockholm alone. One folded and the two remaining got official permission to merge (since this meant virtual monopoly). About two years ago, this last big lab was shut down. Up until the very last day of operation they produced beautiful 35mm prints for the cinemas here. Happily, during the shutting down process, the Swedish Film Institute were wise enough to provide a new home for a handful of staff members and some machinery, who are now able to do preservation work with these machines. So technically there are two film labs here, but only one open for commercial customers.

Best Wishes

Lars

Hello John

Yes they are still in business. They work with a very small staff; I go in occasionally to help with grading and sensitometry.

Brian

Are they actually still in business then Brian ?

Their website hasn't changed for ages, their price list is 2 years old and their 'items for sale' page is 8 years old.

I emailed them about a year ago and never got a reply so assumed they'd shut down.

John S :(

It amuses me that Film & Photo ended up in a Colville Road like the former Filmatic. Just in W3, not posh W11.

Is this the same company that was Film & Photo Design 30-odd years ago?

Yes, it is. It is also odd that Filmatic was the first lab I worked at and Film and Photo will probably be the last!

Brian

We came to FPD once (only once) for some cheap rushes when I was at LCP and they were rather pink!

Went straight back to Filmatic after that, and hang the expense. They may have been one-light but it was a very good light. That was probably you then, 1980-82.

Edited by Mark Dunn

We came to FPD once (only once) for some cheap rushes when I was at LCP and they were rather pink!

Went straight back to Filmatic after that, and hang the expense. They may have been one-light but it was a very good light. That was probably you then, 1980-82.

I left Filmatic in 1981 to become Technical Director at Humphries. I will assume the excellent quality was entirely down to me! :D

Brian

Well this lighting cameraman appreciated your efforts.

Filmatic was pretty popular. We were still sending classified VNF there from MoD Shoeburyness in the late 80s until we got our own machine..

Edited by Mark Dunn

Hey film lives ! how many "K" is that . ^_^ and a P.S i think Technicolor should now change their name to the parent company name Thomson , insult to the history of Technicolor as they have no interest what so ever in film.