Features?

Zac Fettig

• Premium Member

You are late by 14 days.

This has been discussed last year and the subject is moot.

I don't understand your comment. What does late by 14 days mean and if you are trying to bust the thread before it gets going, then at least put a link to the other topic that beat it, no?

• Premium Member

Definitely a time-exposure function because the beam splitter based viewfinder allows the filmmaker to view the image at all times, even when the image is being exposed long time. On all 35mm motion picture cameras, the image is either not visible while the frame is being time-exposed, or a viewfinder has to be used that is completely separate and therefore not 100% accurate as to what is actually being filmed.

I don't understand your comment. What does late by 14 days mean and if you are trying to bust the thread before it gets going, then at least put a link to the other topic that beat it, no?

Yesterday was 14 days past April 1st. Fools day in some locations. :)

It was almost three years ago. If you have some spare time: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=46314

It is only nine long pages.

The best part :)

Since a new camera with this feature is unlikely to happen people best divert to the known bunch A-brand-models and have these properly tested/maintained. Especially the pick-up drive friction to stay jitter free and the internal gears to make them run smooth and quiet.

Leicina Special or Beaulieu 4/6008 if you want a systemcamera. Otherwise Canon 1014 814, Nikon R10 R8 and few others are fine too.

Shooting DS-8 in the few models that exist give a metal plate and longer running times. And it looks cool with the big magazine when on reportage for a wedding and such smile.gif

The Beaulieu SD-8 drive should be good for the 6/7/9/008 should be cool too and has a metal plate with a sprocket drive.

Wittner has plenty materials for all options.

Single-8 in a Fujica ZC1000 should do the trick too.

The only thing is that DS8 supplies have been reduced considerably.

But maybe Wittner brings back some when they start to use their own puncher.

You have over 3000 posts and didn't notice this thread?

Edited by Andries Molenaar

A really dirt simple camera. 18, 24, slo-mo speeds. Either interchangeable or a 1.4 zoom. No meter, but 30th of a sec shutter speed equiv. AA batteries.

please tell me you're building one.

Edited by Mark Sperry

Mark, it absolutely should have a meter. That's the beauty of super8. And 98% of the time, my in camera metering has been spot on.

More important Max 8 would be less wobbly jitter. Super8 is not exactly stable. When you move a shot you hide it. Put it on a tripod and in viewing you will see how the image jumps about.

A wide angle lens that is fast and sharp. 24, 30 and 48 fps.

A video out port. Having the ability to hook up a video tap would be golden.

But this is all loopy nonsense. It ain't ever happening. :) More than likely by next year I will have purchased whatever digital camera I feel is going to give me the look I want. Sub $5,000 cameras with a global shutter are coming and that is the game changer for me.

I want some engineering genius to build me a miniature Vista-Vision type deal based around a super8 cartridge.

like a regular super8 camera except the cartridge is loaded on its side and the pull-down claw has a much longer stroke moving 4 perfs per frame!

Of course you would only get around 37 seconds of film before having to reload, and how such film would be scanned or projected is a bit beyond me..........

ok, I'll admit it I haven't thought this through very well :wacko:

please tell me you're building one.

I am designing one at the moment. Film transport is worked out (linkage). Have some of the parts modeled up in SolidWorks. Was trying to figure out what is needed for a viewfinder. Right now, it's just a ground glass hanging in space.

Can't do much about jitter. Not practical to put in a registration pin unless you pull the film and thread it (ala VIC SP-1). Then I'd have to get a pressure plate plated.

No plans to turn it into a commercial product. More a Proof of Concept thing than anything. Something to screw around with. The flame war on the old post is right. The only way to make a commercial product is with a dirt cheap, priced-for-hipsters camera to sell at Urban Outfitters. It's not a good business plan.

• Premium Member

No plans to turn it into a commercial product. More a Proof of Concept thing than anything. Something to screw around with. The flame war on the old post is right. The only way to make a commercial product is with a dirt cheap, priced-for-hipsters camera to sell at Urban Outfitters. It's not a good business plan.

Well make that part of your experiment... come up with an inexpensive way to make it then do a Kickstarter campaign to build it and get it into Urban Outfitters and Target stores.

I still think figuring out a way to add digital audio recording could be fun. Maybe find an inexpensive digital audio recorder that you can buy, take apart and build into the camera. Tricky part is syncing up later... maybe a flash frame and audio beep or something...

Why wouldn't or couldn't Kodak and Canon or Nikon get together with some big name Super8 enthusiasts about creating a new 8mm camera based upon either the Nikon R10 or Canon 1014 XL-S? But simplified. No need for all the in camera tricks like fades and dissolves since that would be done with modern editing suites.

Put the campaign on Kickstarter and see what happens. At the very least it would be a terrific way to generate advertising about FILM.

No doubt the electronic on those cameras, which are decades old, could be updated and simplified.

Just thinking out loud here.

Can't do much about jitter. Not practical to put in a registration pin unless you pull the film and thread it (ala VIC SP-1). Then I'd have to get a pressure plate plated.

You could find an old Fujica single-8 camera and take the plate, springs and support from that... You will be amazed at the simpleness of this plate. No chrome or such. Likely it cost only a dime in manufacturing.

Well make that part of your experiment... come up with an inexpensive way to make it then do a Kickstarter campaign to build it and get it into Urban Outfitters and Target stores.

I still think figuring out a way to add digital audio recording could be fun. Maybe find an inexpensive digital audio recorder that you can buy, take apart and build into the camera. Tricky part is syncing up later... maybe a flash frame and audio beep or something...

For registration one could expose a dot in the border.

There could even be a QR code in the side to mark/number the frames.