Angenieux 28-340

JT Crofts

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the New 28-340? we own the 24-290, and was going to buy another or the 28-340. I am on the business side, and my partner is in the operation side. He is not sure if this new lens will be in demand like our 1st one. Any thoghts or comments are welcome...Thx

It's really just a 24-290 with a very mild teleconverter to enlarge the image circle so that it covers 5K on the Epic. Slight loss of speed from T2.8 to T3.2 which is the tradeoff. The 24-290 does cover 5K on the Epic down to about 35mm or so.

Typically the wide end of these zooms aren't used too often (go to a 17-80mm or 15-40mm lightweight instead) so in my opinion the 24-290 is not particularly at a disadvantage; it's still the workhorse zoom of choice. The 28-340 is a big investment that serves a smaller niche; that said, depending on your market and whether you think the 6K Dragon sensor will increase demand for larger image circle lenses, that may change your perspective.

Personally, 90% of my work is Alexa based which is a proper S35 sized chip, and half the jobs I work on with Epic shoot 4K anyway.

• Upvote 2

Coming from a stills photography background I never really understood the use of such a lens with so many elements - the possibility for image degradation must be quite high.

On the productions I've assisted on it was largely just a thing of convenience and speed. Is this always generally the reasoning for a DP to select this in his camera package? Time is money etc?

• Premium Member

Coming from a stills photography background I never really understood the use of such a lens with so many elements - the possibility for image degradation must be quite high.

Actually the Optimos have stellar image quality - the biggest drawbacks of the 24-290 are the size and 4' minimum focus, not image problems.

Actually the Optimos have stellar image quality - the biggest drawbacks of the 24-290 are the size and 4' minimum focus, not image problems.

When compared to a prime lens? I mean I guess so at £50k they probably should be heh. I just usually associate many element lenses with a large range in focal lengths with poor performance.