Aaton in bankruptcy! :(

Freya Black

I've written an article about this for those who havn't already heard the bad news:

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/670-aaton-reportedly-out-of-business

Note I don't write the headlines usually and we are usually careful at Red Shark about trying to make sure things are correct before publishing. I think the editor was being extra careful around this and rightly so, as usually at this stage in the proceedings there is a ton of rumour and conjecture and nonsense but the article I link to in mine is the AFC website, and I would think that to be a VERY reliable source. Kind of like the French ASC or BSC.

Very sad news. :(

Freya

Sad, indeed. I would have thought they might be able to reorganize like you might do with a big company in the US rather than close but it is what it is.

On another note, I didn't realize you were a writer which is pretty cool, and are a movie industry and cinematography writer which is even cooler. After checking out the Red Shark website, I was also pleasantly surprised to finally be able to put a face to your name after all the information, advice and help you have dispensed to me personally and to everyone else here since I joined the forum. Much oif that information has since proven to be invaluable particularly the tread on Adamo a while back which helped change my thinking on a few subjects. I just wanted to thank you for that. :D B)

It seems we are missing some details here. If the Dalsa sensor (which I believe is a Teledyne product) does not meet specification, then the supplier needs to take responsibility for the issue. Aaton should be working closely with them until a solution is provided (product or $). I see this in my line of work quite frequently.

I suspect their capital ran out before a solution could be found. Aaton had built a number of production Penelope Delta cameras, but reading between the lines of their statements there's not a quick fix to the sensor issue, so they were bearing the costs of constructing these cameras..

In the meantime they're going to focus on the CantarX+ audio recorder and D-Minima documentary style reflex-viewfinder digital camera.

Heres an interesting article from the digital bolex site about this kind of thing:

http://www.digitalbolex.com/funding-complex-rd-existing-product-line/

Also my understanding from the recent statement from JP is that even if Aaton do now find a buyer, the Delta Penelope is a dead project. Which is a shame, as I was kind of liking the images I was seeing from it so far.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Sad, indeed. I would have thought they might be able to reorganize like you might do with a big company in the US rather than close but it is what it is.

I was talking to the editor about this. I'm not sure what the situation is exactly and I've tried to use similar wording to the French article. I know when Kodak went into chapter 11, I had to explain to quite a few people that wasn't really the same thing as going into liquidation.

Here I mention Bankruptcy proceedings but I'm not sure if there is any kind of bankruptcy protection in France in the same way as there is with Chapter 11 in the states so I was trying to be really careful around the whole issue. I'm not 100% in understanding the different levels of banruptcy type stuff here in the UK let alone France so it's an aspect I'm really careful around. I don't want to be one of those writers who adds to the confusion.

Just to note tho, that they havn't closed yet and JP seems to expect to have a buyer for the company. :)

Freya

On another note, I didn't realize you were a writer which is pretty cool, and are a movie industry and cinematography writer which is even cooler. After checking out the Red Shark website, I was also pleasantly surprised to finally be able to put a face to your name after all the information, advice and help you have dispensed to me personally and to everyone else here since I joined the forum. Much oif that information has since proven to be invaluable particularly the tread on Adamo a while back which helped change my thinking on a few subjects. I just wanted to thank you for that. :D B)

Thanks James! That's nice to hear! :)

I've only kind of become a writer more recently. I had a spate of people telling me I should write. Sometimes even editors of online magazines but then going quiet on me when I took them up on it and offered to write something. I was a bit frustrated by it to be honest.

Then I met Phil Rhodes at BVE Expo 2012 and even he said I should take up writing, and it made me take it a bit more seriously as Phil obviously actually writes himself! It was still a while after that when I discovered Red Shark, and when I wrote to David (the editor) he was really supportive and enthusiastic.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my life and Red Shark is presently one of the best things in it!

I really think things are finally starting to turn back around for me again. :)

I really like Red Shark too because it has a very friendly and open style but it also has quite a high quality to it with people like Phil writing in depth articles on technical subjects (He has a great article on HDMI and 4K up there right now) as well as stuff like "Here is some really preety Alexa footage". I think it's a really good mix personally.

Freya

Well, reinventing yourself, though painful, may be the best thing that ever happened to you.Like they say, "No pain, no gain" and sometimes change is good and necessary to grow as a human being. My philosophy on life is it's an on going series of disappointments punctuated with the occasional spectacular victory. The trick is to minimize the disappointments and not let them get you too down nor ever forget that the victories can only last so long before they fade away but having them is what keeps us moving on. One thing I have learned is that one can overcome almost anything if you just refuse to surrender to doubt. Another thing I've learned is when several different people tell you something about yourself, there's a good chance they're probably right, not always but often and knowing yourself well enough to tell the difference is what makes all the difference. What was that great old quote by Davy Crockett...ah yes: "First make sure you're right, then go ahead" . B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly