Colm Whelan

low light floating ghost

shooting a day for night low light interior. scene will be illuminated by some motivated moonlight spill into a hallway. main character is carrying an led torch. trying to figure out a way of floating a ghost towards him as resources are low. someone suggested placing the ghost standing on a dolly platform covered in chromakey green and shooting a plate to match but with it being such low light not sure it'll work.

anyone been thru this and have a solution? appreciate any thoughts

Sounds like you need to talk to your VFX supervisor. Will the ghost be fully CG? Do you want the ghost to give off any light? If so I'd maybe float a dimmed down jemball/china ball or something similar then let the VFX guys track and replace it with the digital ghost.

Alex Disenhof

www.alexdisenhof.com

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you need to talk to your VFX supervisor. Will the ghost be fully CG? Do you want the ghost to give off any light? If so I'd maybe float a dimmed down jemball/china ball or something similar then let the VFX guys track and replace it with the digital ghost.

Alex Disenhof

www.alexdisenhof.com

thanks Alex

ideally I'd just green screen it but for complicated reasons it has to be shot on set today and we're stuck remotely without proper green screen. portable one has gone missing. VFX guys not very helpful so I'm stuck figuring it out. like the china ball idea.