Making DVDs

William Fischer

So, I have a 14 1/2 minute short, saved three different ways: ProRes 4444, h264 at 1080 res, and h264 at 480 res. I need to make 20-some DVDs of the film. I have some extra discs to test with, and I've tried burning DVDs using the two h264 files with Adobe Encore, Windows DVD Maker, and DVD Creator. The Encore effort (with the 1080) had a choppy, blurred playback; the WDM efforts (with the 480 converted to .wmv) had smooth playback but badly pixelated image with interlaced lines, and the DVD Creator efforts (the 1080 and 480, set to "High Quality" under Options) had the best overall quality - no lines, smooth playback - but comparing the image quality I get from them on an HDTV to the quality of the source files on my laptop, they're still coming up short.

I no longer have access to Encore, and DVD Maker's my only option if I want to avoid spending money on new software. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Owen Parker

William, you're going to need to give us some more info.

PC or Mac ( PC by the sound of it ), you want to distribute as a DVD that will play in a domestic stand alone DVD player?

From the details you've given.

Most authoring/burning software will see a DVD (4.5GB) as Standard definition - 480p if you like, so it will never look as good as you're HD source material because the software will re compress everything down to SD.

If you want it to be HD and playable on a domestic player, as opposed to on a computer, you will need to burn it as a Blu-Ray.

As far as I know you can't burn a DVD in a Blu-Ray (HD) format. (Although I'd be happy to be proven wrong...)

It sounds as if the process you are using is re compressing the files.

Take a look at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

There's a bunch of tools there that are free or trialware which may help.