Prime lens options for s16 Arriflex SR2 (PL)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes old 16mm lenses are still relatively cheap compared to their 35mm brethren - when REDs first appeared 35mm Super Speed sets nearly quadrupled in price.

The one exception seems to be C-mounts, which have been discovered by digital stills shooters keen for a 'vintage' look. Try getting a pre-set Switar for a Bolex these days for under $700. This Meyer Kino-Plasmat from the 30s recently went for over $12000!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271194952799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

But I have a feeling pro 16mm lenses will start to go up in value as more S16 sensor size cameras appear.

One note about old lenses like the Schneiders and Zeisses, there can be tremendous variation in quality depending on their state and service history. Many will have a severe image shift when the focus direction is changed, which can only be cured by rebuilding the helical threads. Some of them don't have focus stops so you can unscrew them completely from the mount. They can have a yellowish cast and sometimes strong veiling glare that completely reduces the contrast. So it can be a gamble to invest in them, unless you're OK with that. I would second the advice to rent first and try out some different lenses.

FWIW, I dug up some 16mm format Arri St mount lenses we have here at Cameraquip:

16mmarrist.jpg
From left to right:

Angenieux f/3.5 14.5mm which fits an SR and covers S16.

Schneider f/1.8 10mm (post '67) which fits but doesn't cover S16.
Schneider f/2 16mm which doesn't fit. (#8998356)
Schneider f/2 25mm which doesn't fit. (#10359692)

The Schneiders that don't fit still have a bevel, so I guess I was wrong about that as an indicator.

Hello.

In teresting post.

I have a Schneider 16mm... Do you reckon it would fit a S16mm sensor? like the BMCCP?

Also, in a post above is mentioned the kinopitik 5.7 16mm lnses... Does that cover a S16mm sensor too? This is what I got from the post...

Thanks,

F

• Premium Member

I have a Schneider 16mm... Do you reckon it would fit a S16mm sensor? like the BMCCP?

The BMCC is larger than 16mm so all 16mm size lenses won't necessarily work. Good posts around the internet on which ones work and don't.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I came across this post whilst researching which lenses to buy for an Arri SR3 that I'll soon be purchasing. Really useful information so thanks. I want to get a good zoom lens but can't find a PL mount Carl Zeiss 10-100mm anywhere. I came across a bayonet mount one though and was wondering if it would be anywhere near as good or a waste of money? Here are pictures of it, it's a Zeiss 10-100mm f2.8 (T3) Vario-Sonnar T* Arriflex B mount:

http://kevincameras.com/gallery/v/movie_len/zeiss/10_100/6130588/

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam.

The Zeiss 10-100 T3.1? this is standard 16 lens. I had one for a short time, suposedly it covered S16 over 15mm focal length.

But actually it vigneted all over the place. They always seem to be Arri-B. Sometimes they were converted to S16.

Another element added to the back. Sometimes they have a PL adapter. The most basic adapter, secured with three radialy

oriented screws, is not a good idea with that lens. The twist lock ones which load against the bayonetes are better.

Really sharp lenses, but the one I had for a short time was a bit clumsy feeling with the zoom movement for handheld, compared

to the Angenieux 12-120 workhorse, which was great hand held, fingers on the barrel, super smooth. Unfortunately,

very soft compared to that Zeiss.

There are later Zeiss zooms that are S16, and Canon, and Cooke. Some of them quite affordable now.

PL is just a mount. It doesn't qualify the lens as being any better.

I had a zoom fluid drive on my Zeiss 10-100 T3.1. Good things: relatively compact, could focus down to a meter, pretty sharp. Down sides the T3.1 aperture and zooming the wrong (Although you quickly got used to it). A standard 16mm lens and I don't think it's worth get it modified, since there are super 16 zooms out there.

Thanks for your responses Greg and Brian. Is this Angenieux the one you're talking about Greg?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANGENIEUX-ZOOM-2-2-12-120MM-LENS-MOTOR-ARRIFLEX-MOUNT-for-16MM-MOVIE-CAMERA-/271428030797?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f325f114d

Is it suitable or will it vignette?

I'm trying to decide between 2 sr3 packages. One comes with this lens: Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 2/11-110 Lens:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201145862004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

and one with no lens:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111436195344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I'd prefer the one with no lens because it's an advanced sr3 (the other is just a high speed one and I'm concerned will be too noisy to do sync sound) but if the lens that comes with the first link is better than the Angenieux then it might be worth getting that package.

Be great to hear your views.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, the Angenieux 12-120mm will vignette at the 'beginning'. My 12-120mm does. Are there more different versions of this lens or are they all the same ?

The Angenieux 15-150 should be OK for S16. I've tested it and I can't find any vignetting. There are two old types from the 70s: The 1,9/15-150mm and the 2,8/15-150mm.

Michael

Edited by Michael Schroers