YASHICA SOUND 50XL

Joseph Konrad

If I were to use 200T film, then, I assume it would be metered at 160T because I assume the camera either always meters down or picks the speed that is closest. And that would also work because the goal is always to have the film be overqualified for what it is metered at, not underqualified. Do I understand properly? Thank you again for your wonderful help.

Looks like it will meter the 50D at 25. That's one stop over which is fine with 50D. You'll hardly notice.

I think 50D will be exposed as 40 as you should remove the colour conversion filter (if it does not have the filter sensing pin with automatic removeal of the filter) and thus have the "tungsten" setting rated at 40, and as this is daylight balanced stock you will be fine.

If I were to use 200T film, then, I assume it would be metered at 160T because I assume the camera either always meters down or picks the speed that is closest. And that would also work because the goal is always to have the film be overqualified for what it is metered at, not underqualified. Do I understand properly? Thank you again for your wonderful help.

With Kodak negative film, overexposing it by at least one stop gives a better look. Exposing it as 160 is fine too, even though this is only a third of a stop overexposure.

I would be careful not to overexpose reversal film, it is best exposed at box speed.

I LOVE the Yashica 50XL!!!

It's a really easy to use, robust 'run-n-gun' point and shooter, ideal for handheld at 18fps.

The lens is pretty sharp and it handles Tri-X beautifully. I also really appreciate it's overall design and functionality. B)

I think 50D will be exposed as 40 as you should remove the colour conversion filter (if it does not have the filter sensing pin with automatic removeal of the filter) and thus have the "tungsten" setting rated at 40, and as this is daylight balanced stock you will be fine.

I'm 99% sure that this camera will only detect 25, 100 and 160 as "daylight" speeds. It will have the daylight/tungsten pin inside to "choose" daylight vs tungsten and set it's EE based on that. So, I'm pretty sure it will set at 25.

I believe Tri-X is notched for tungsten. So, leaving it set to "indoors" will keep the filter out-of-the-way and result in an EE setting of 250. But, the speed notch MIGHT detect 100/160, in which case it will be set to 160 and very slightly over expose. Even that little will likely clip bright highlights.

It's a really easy to use, robust 'run-n-gun' point and shooter, ideal for handheld at 18fps.

The lens is pretty sharp and it handles Tri-X beautifully. I also really appreciate it's overall design and functionality. B)

It really is a beautiful camera. Very hefty and well-laid out. I picked it up for around $50 mint off of ebay.

• Upvote 1

I'm 99% sure that this camera will only detect 25, 100 and 160 as "daylight" speeds. It will have the daylight/tungsten pin inside to "choose" daylight vs tungsten and set it's EE based on that. So, I'm pretty sure it will set at 25.

I believe Tri-X is notched for tungsten. So, leaving it set to "indoors" will keep the filter out-of-the-way and result in an EE setting of 250. But, the speed notch MIGHT detect 100/160, in which case it will be set to 160 and very slightly over expose. Even that little will likely clip bright highlights.

Remember the daylight value of 25 was for Kodachrome 40 which was a tungsten balanced film that was rated at 25 in daylight with the 85a filter in place - for a daylight balanced stock it will need the 40 Tungsten setting as the 85a filter is not needed.

• Upvote 1

Remember the daylight value of 25 was for Kodachrome 40 which was a tungsten balanced film that was rated at 25 in daylight with the 85a filter in place - for a daylight balanced stock it will need the 40 Tungsten setting as the 85a filter is not needed.

Right. So it will technically be exposing in tungsten mode so it's exposing at 40. Good point. Got it.

So yeah. Even better. 50D should expose perfectly. Still not positive about tri-x. But. Pretty sure it will expose at 250. Again, a good safe exposure.

• 3 weeks later...

Right. So it will technically be exposing in tungsten mode so it's exposing at 40. Good point. Got it.

So yeah. Even better. 50D should expose perfectly. Still not positive about tri-x. But. Pretty sure it will expose at 250. Again, a good safe exposure.

I have to add that technically Velvia 50D from Wittner is notched as 50D - HOWEVER - you do need the follow the advice written on the pacakging (yes, it's in Greman) which is to manually remove the colour conversion filter so that the filter switch is at the "bulb" setting, and then you will get the 40 ASA rating.

• Upvote 1