Can one put a matte box on: a K3, Kinor 16mm and/or Scoopic MS? Do I need to know a particular thread size.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question

Also can one load short ends that are under 400ft into a 400ft magazine, so say for example a 290ft short end into a 400ft magazine?

As a student we visited a rich visiting sports TV production shot on 16mm with 10 or 12 cameras, I remember the DoP flicking short ends into the air to recover the core. None of us had the nerve to ask if we could just keep the film. So it's really just a question of what's usefull, economic to load and use.

Re the matte box question.,

There are often ready made solutions to how to mount the MB for different cameras. Otherwise you can invent your own.

If the lens has a front that does not rotate as it focuses, then a solution is possible where you just clamp onto the front. Look at most of the Chrosziel 4x4 MB and you see this option. There are cheaper Chinese or Indian versions. If the lens front rotates as you focus (older zoom lenses for example) then you have to use rods. There is almost no camera or configuration that you cannot custom do with rods. The issue is how to align the lens axis with the central axis of the MB. You will sometimes just improvise. Add spacers to get the height and align the threaded camera mounting holes to get the horizontal alignment.

Some cheap Chinese MB have easy height adjustment. Maybe some have a way of horizontal adjustment also

A cheap MB may be OK if you have little money. Better to spend on the FF.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

yes you can use short ends under 400ft with 400ft mags.

If I remember correctly, the Russian cores are a little bit smaller than western ones (was it 1.5" versus 2" ?) , so you can't load a full 400ft roll of film to Kinor 400ft magazine if the film is on 2" core

well i dont have a 400ft mag yet but how would I load a 400ft roll onto the magazine if the outer diameter of the film roll is bigger?

I may be missing something here, but your original question was about putting short ends that are less than 400ft in length into a 400ft magazine. In this case it will be impossible for less than 400ft of film to be of larger diameter than the 400ft of film the magazine is designed for?

You could just beak down your 400' rolls. Whatever's most usefull. 2x200'... or spool off 100' to leave 300'. Normally you do this in a darkroom, but people often improvise. You need a set of rewinds and one or two split spools depending on what you are doing. I have at a pinch just held a 400' roll in my fingers as I spooled it onto a rewind. Not the safest way to do it.

If you are spooling off your own rolls, you have to spool it twice. The second time you will get the wind orientation back to what it was, and the head, tail relationship correct, so that edge numbers, bar code or whatever they do nowdays will be in the right direction.

I may be missing something here, but your original question was about putting short ends that are less than 400ft in length into a 400ft magazine. In this case it will be impossible for less than 400ft of film to be of larger diameter than the 400ft of film the magazine is designed for?

I think the point was that a Kinor mag might not take a full load on a 2" core if the Russian cores it was designed for are smaller.