mixing daylight and Fluorescent

Dear Forum,

I'm shooting a short film on the RED One camera and would like to ask some advice. I'm shooting in a classroom with overhead fluorescent lighting (cool white T8 that seem to be approx 4100K). There is also some filming in the various hallways of the school with the same lighting. In the classroom there are a couple of large windows which I will be able to light thru, possibly a couple of 4K HMI's or maybe one 18K. Most of the action takes place within the classroom and all during daylight hours to feel like mid day.

My question is what to do colour temperature wise. I don't know if we have the time or money to switch all the bulbs to daylight balanced.

If I leave all the bulbs as is in the classroom / hallways and split the colour balance of the camera to around 5000K does that seem crazy? Will I feel the green spill from the overhead lights?

Would love to hear anyones thoughts?

If I take digital stills on the scout will that give me a good indication of the balance between the daylight and fluorescents?

Thanks in advance for your help, thoughts and time.

All the best,

Andrew

• Premium Member

It doesn't matter what white balance you choose. It's only meta-data on the image for your viewing on set. It's "raw" compressed raw, but still "raw" and as such you'll be able to change the WB, non destructively might later on.

Were It I, I would worry much more about green output than color temperature on those floros.

Even with the ability to change white balance in post doesn't negate the fact that the daylight is a different temp than the fluorescents. I have shot things that a mis match in color is appropriate, but it gives it a much less "pleasant" look.

One thing I would consider is not using the fluorescents at all. If you have large enough windows that light will be enough and window light looks beautiful. That depends on if you're seeing the fluorescents in the classroom.

Don't know how many bulbs or even how much time/money you have, but you could also gel the fluorescents. Not sure this would end up being much cheaper. I'd say talk to your rental house about cutting a deal on daylight bulbs.

If I were doing this on a budget I would probably kill the fluorescents and add a little fill artificially.