Swamy Arasu

Hello,
Here i would like to clear some questions raised before starting a new project.. as i shared my equipment i have and the question how to use them for better result..

I am now doing a job for the first time on DSLR and have so many questions and need all the help you all can provide.
The gear available to me:
5d3, 1dx
Zeiss 14, Zeiss 35, Zeiss 135 (on its way)
Fluid head tripod.
Lexar 1000x 32gb UDMA 7 card
A three year old Imac for editing.
Nature of job and crew:
I will be going to small villages and shoot lifestyles of people as artistically as I can.
I will shoot lots of interviews with audio.
I have a focus puller and lighting assistant.
I want efficient frill free equipment set up that does the job. However, keeping gear light is not the first requirement, getting professional output is.
The edited videos will be viewed mostly on internet and at times projected on a mid size screen.
My questions:
1. Do I need another monitor besides the LCD on the camera to check focus etc?
2. Which is the best slider for price for DSLR?
3. Which is the best way to record audio? Do I record on camera or external recorder and sync using a slate? I have a BeachTek DXA-SLR available for free. Is it any good?
4. Should I use Magic Lantern software or original Canon RAW? If magic lantern, then which version?
5. What is the ideal ISO for video? And if not ideal, what is the acceptable range for noise free work.
6. Is 1/50 the only shutter speed to work at or it does not matter?
7. Will my Imac be ok for the edit? I will not buy an Imac now until it is refreshed, but just want to prepare myself on the speed of edit.
Thank you!

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Your going to need another monitor for focusing- no question about that. You will slowly lose your eyesight squinting at those tiny camera screens..get one of these. I own this one and it's great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lilliput-7-619A-1080P-Camera-Field-Monitor-SunShade-F970-Adaptor-HDMI-Hoe-Stand-/130825146647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e75c95117

Also, I couldn't see do any DSLR work without a follow focus..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Quick-Release-Clamp-DSLR-Follow-Focus-FF-for-15mm-rod-RIG-60D-600D-5D2-D7000-/200844376526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec341f9ce

Both of these will make filming much easier.

• Premium Member

Two things.

That Lilliput monitor is actually only about (if I remember right) 800x480 native resolution, so you're not seeing much more than SD pictures. It's certainly better than focusing off the camera monitor, but it can still be soft and you may not see it.

Second, if you want follow focus (and often you do on awkward stills lenses) it can be tricky to assemble a selection of gear on which it works. Particularly, finding lenses with appropriate gearing, of the right pitch, FF gear to suit, etc., can be a pain.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Two things.

That Lilliput monitor is actually only about (if I remember right) 800x480 native resolution, so you're not seeing much more than SD pictures. It's certainly better than focusing off the camera monitor, but it can still be soft and you may not see it.

Second, if you want follow focus (and often you do on awkward stills lenses) it can be tricky to assemble a selection of gear on which it works. Particularly, finding lenses with appropriate gearing, of the right pitch, FF gear to suit, etc., can be a pain.

He said it's for the internet and smaller screens. It's not going to be a problem so the monitor is perfect and inexpensive.

Right tools for the right job, Phil?