Lets talk about Michael Manns' "Heat". That movie is epic, anamorphic, and based on real guys. I love the cinematography, it's probably the best modern crime drama, for me anyway. The steve mqueen film "bullit" has to be what inspired the end scene on the tarmac in "Heat". Any fans want to chime inon this modern classic? Shoot!

It's been on my top 10 list since I first saw it. I just love the visuals that Michael Mann/Dante Spinotti had at the time, from Manhunter up to Insider.

One of my favorite pieces is the shot of DeNiro in his apartment looking out at the ocean. All blue and black.

The last shot is also worthy of closing the whole movie. All and all "epic crime drama" without screaming "Hey, look how epicly I framed this and wohooo".

• Premium Member

One particular shot from the end scene looks like it was practically pulled from Bullit. No question Mann was inspired by it.

Heat has always been a favorite of mine, but Thief beats it for me. Between James Caan, Tangerine Dream and simply due to the way Mann stylizes the entire crime genre. Great stuff.

Lets talk about Michael Manns' "Heat". That movie is epic, anamorphic, and based on real guys. I love the cinematography, it's probably the best modern crime drama, for me anyway. The steve mqueen film "bullit" has to be what inspired the end scene on the tarmac in "Heat". Any fans want to chime inon this modern classic? Shoot!