Prashantt Rai

Thanks a lot Will, for having a look at the video. And thanks for the compliments. Nothing beats magic hours :-) I guess.

I agree compression issues are there because i did a basic SD telecine tx at 8 bits. Next time I am going to for a 2K scan. This was the first short I shot with my new SR3HS. pretty low budget. I worked with a small crew of 13 people, paid everybody, and finished it in 900USD. one day shoot.

It's always fantastic to see someone pulling out some good S16mm footage.

Curious which stock you used for the sparkler/evening shots-- 500T I would guess, but which one I wonder?

It's always fantastic to see someone pulling out some good S16mm footage.

Curious which stock you used for the sparkler/evening shots-- 500T I would guess, but which one I wonder?

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the compliments - feel flattered, especially so when there are so many distinguished DoPs/Cinematographers on this forum.

I used vision3 50D for the late afternoon shots. And, you were right, I used vision3 500T for the twilight shots. I shot the whole magic hour sequence (90% at least) on 36fps.

• Premium Member

Aye there are some good good people here. It's quite the honor, even for me, to in any way be able to speak and debate with them.
No need to feel flattered, yourself, you shot something very nice, very simply, and made smart choices with it (especially the 36fps). It works well and you've earned the positive feed-back Of course, you cheated a little bit by using a beautiful woman and a beautiful beach ;) but who wouldn't do the same thing if they could.

Aye there are some good good people here. It's quite the honor, even for me, to in any way be able to speak and debate with them.

No need to feel flattered, yourself, you shot something very nice, very simply, and made smart choices with it (especially the 36fps). It works well and you've earned the positive feed-back Of course, you cheated a little bit by using a beautiful woman and a beautiful beach ;) but who wouldn't do the same thing if they could.

Adrian,

I did some reccee and luckily I found a nice isolated beach 125Km from the suburbs of Mumbai. Very calm, isolated beach. Travelling took 4 hours each way - Roads are narrow. I shot the whole thing in 2 hours. started at 5 and finished around 7PM. The babe is hot. Her name is Drisha More and she is a regular feature on India's fashion shows.

There is a story on how I ended up using a model. I was actually making a video with professional female runners/marathoners and female pro cyclists. I shot the cycling part in a guerrilla style on a remote highway. When it came to shooting the running part - things began to go wrong. there were bureaucratic hassles and issues with runners. So I changed my approach to the video and instead made what I usually feel - running helps me sync with my inner self. I have been a runner myself. not that fast anymore. But the thrill of having real pros running would have been different.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I always find, the more things go horribly wrong, the happier I am personally with the shots I get. well, that or so woefully embarrassed, I am only consoled by the compassion of the director being ok with it. ;) good work and do keep it up.

I always find, the more things go horribly wrong, the happier I am personally with the shots I get. well, that or so woefully embarrassed, I am only consoled by the compassion of the director being ok with it. ;) good work and do keep it up.

Serendipity always favours the filmmakers :-))

Its good to plan and go for shoot and maybe best to watch things unfold different way on the set/location. Maybe.

• Premium Member

You've always got to plan, I think. Pre Pro is the most important things. But let's be honest here, no amount of planing in the world can really cover you from the unexpected. So you have to think on your feet. Honestly, if all went according to plan I'd probably get too board day to day. 'Course if nothing goes according to plan, well at that point you're kind of in trouble.

• Premium Member

The running seemed like faster (slower) than 36fps... I would have thought more like 60fps. That shot is a great example of how Super 16 is still relevant and can do things that digital doesn't quite do (as easily.)

Definitely post the higher res scan when you get it!

The running seemed like faster (slower) than 36fps... I would have thought more like 60fps. That shot is a great example of how Super 16 is still relevant and can do things that digital doesn't quite do (as easily.)

Definitely post the higher res scan when you get it!

WILL,

I apologise for creating a misunderstanding.

the very first, opening shot of girl starting from the block is shot at 150 fps.

rest of the twilight shots of hers sauntering in the water is at 36 fps.

Late afternoon shots are at 25 fps.

Sorry, I didnt mention this clearly in my first post.

regards

Edited by Prashantt Rai

You've always got to plan, I think. Pre Pro is the most important things. But let's be honest here, no amount of planing in the world can really cover you from the unexpected. So you have to think on your feet. Honestly, if all went according to plan I'd probably get too board day to day. 'Course if nothing goes according to plan, well at that point you're kind of in trouble.

Adrian, you said the fact.