1x1 LS Traveler Trio Plus Kit

Has anyone used or own these new Litepanel lights? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860808-REG/Litepanels_903_5993_1x1_Traveler_Trio_Plus.html

I was looking to purchase it for the reason being that a lot of the set's I work on are smaller interviews and the companies I work with usually rent out Kino's or an Arri kit, and I thought purchasing this kit would give me something to bring and rent out to the set, but also to own for personal projects. Do these lights seem like a good investment? Or are there other kits out there that are in high demand to rent out?

Thanks!

-Danny

yeah i was last year at the "Cinec" and there was a stand-up from Lightpanels.

But i think personally that there are better panels out there and that these don't worth the money.

For example from DedoWeigert or Arri there are much better lightpanels with changeable colortemperatur and they are colourfast.

Litepanels 1X1 Models: 5600�K Flood � 5600�K Spot � 3200�K Flood

1X1%20solo.jpgdedo_zoom_out_en.gif

The 1x1 is the most versatile production light ever built. Combining Litepanels' hallmark LED technology in a sophisticated, slimline housing, this revolutionary modular lighting system provides 1'x1' of pure, luminous, soft, directional output.

Specifications

Size: 12"W x 12"H x 1.75"D

(30.48cm x 30.48cm x 4.4cm)

Weight: 3 lbs. (1.36kg)

Power Draw: 37 Watts @ 24V

45 Watts @ 12V

Power Supply: 18-28V, AC Adapter 100-240V

Advantages

# Only 1.75" (44mm) thick

# Ultra lightweight & portable

# 12" square (30.48cm)

# Runs on AC adapter or battery

# Heat-free & flicker-free

# Dims 100% to 0 with minimal color shift

# Remote dimmer available

# 5600°K daylight or 3200°K incandescent

versions

# Modular design for multipanel

configuration

# 100,000 hour rated lamp life

# View-thru to see the talent

# Litepanels award-winning LED technology

# Optional Backpack PowerCell

(1.75 hours)

# Ballast-free

Highly Controllable

The 1x1 shares many of the technical innovations designed by Litepanels to give you an unmatched level of lighting control. An ergonomic control knob on the back enables instant dimming from 100% to 0 with minimal color shift. Absolutely silent & flicker- free and heat-free, the system can be positioned comfortably close to a subject's face, filling it with an unmatched quality of soft, wrap-around light. For even more control, a set of 6 interchangeable slide-in conversion and diffusion filters is available in various configurations for both daylight and tungsten versions.

Power Efficient

Employing Litepanels' ultra-efficient LEDs, the system draws just 40 Watts @ 24V, yet outputs the equivalent of 500 Watts. The 1x1 is powered via an external 100-240VAC international adapter, which provides 24VDC to the unit. Equipped with an XLR power connector cable, the 1x1 can also run off a variety of 18-28VDC sources, including a standard camera battery, car battery, or an optional Backpack PowerCell.

• Premium Member
, the system draws just 40 Watts @ 24V, yet outputs the equivalent of 500 Watts

I'd love to know where they get their figures from.

The poorest incandescent lightbulbs - which are flashlight bulbs and indicator lamps, not filmmaking devices - may achieve a luminous efficacy of ten lumens per watt. Better, halogen-technology incandescent lighting of the type you're actually likely to use, makes more like 30. White LEDs of ten times this efficacy do not exist at any CRI. The best current types make perhaps 150 lumens per watt, on an exceptionally good day, and are generally large-die devices of the type found in high performance flashlights or filmmaking equipment such as Outsight's CreamSource, not the 5mm diameter types used by Litepanels.

And this is before we even consider the efficiency of the power supply. An extremely carefully-designed 40W-capable switch mode current regulator might achieve an efficiency exceeding 90%, but there are significant technical challenges involved in the efficient and well-regulated running of such large arrays of LEDs. This is another reason that a smaller number of larger junctions, again like Outsight's products, may be a better bet.

Solid state light can be much more efficient than tungsten and is becoming more efficient than fluorescent, but it is not twelve times more efficient - more like five or six. I invite someone from Litepanels to come and tell us how they've built a lighting device that's twelve and a half times more efficient than competing filmmaking gear, or at least admit that they're comparing it to the efficiency of christmas tree lights.

P

Uh, good investment in the sense of price, they are not so cheap for me, i think litepanels are good but for special uses, when you need ligth in the sense of every lux you can have using less power you can and also less space, like camera cars or very small bathrooms, tunnels, caves or on battery running in the street at night handheld ( this i've done for the last year in music videoclip).
Don't trust in any CRI ever because the battery goes down and before shut it down the color and the green is changing a lot, and also with dimmer. The bicolor one it's a mixing color temperature fixture so change every step
For an interview i'm thinking about a more beauty light like kinos or the evergreen 650 set of fresnel in a perfect and simple threee point lighting