How is this made: practical abstraction tool

w81an6.png

2qsmnwz.png

I was watching a behind the scenes clip for a perfume commerical and noticed this cool handmade tool used to make abstractions and bokeh type effects.

It's thin wire and small plastic circles but I have exhausted every possible google search I can think of and was wondering if anyone knows the actual name for the plastic, has made one, or knows where I can get it. It sort of looks like something you'd find in a kids art kit.

Many many thanks.

A.x

• Premium Member

A lot of that stuff is home made/custom made or found.
My own favorites that I have is a deformed magnifying glass, a piece of 5x6x.25 acryllic with holes of varying sizes drilled into it, a 4x4 CD case scratched to hell.

Vantage, I've seen, has glass filters which are a good size filled with colored monofilamint, small prisms, ect, really the sky is the limit but you don't necessarily NEED to buy something like this.

Normally I just try to design my stuffs to fit into the 4x4 mattebox I own-- as best as possible. And then play around. Grab a vDSLR and see what certain things will do for you.

Is that some sort of flower-arranging accessory, one of those things with the flat glass beads and the wire?

The clip got taken down from youtube (screenshotted a while ago), they're def. plastic. I've taken a look in some craft shops but nothing comes close.

Adrian, I'll do some experimenting for sure. I made a makeshift type wire brush like in the video that works. I don't really want to have anything to weighty. If anyone can recommend some plastics that's be great.