Eclair ACL PL and Nikon mount

David Cunningham

Hey David,

ACLs are great cameras. The adapter idea, really a (knurled ring) screw on remount, allows almost anything. There are probably a few people able to make the adapters. Les Bosher (UK) and Arranda (Australia) come to mind. Both are really well made. I think the normal Les Bosher one you can crack the locking "ears", if you are rough. I have seen them for sale like that. Probably a part that would be cheap for him to replace.

The Arranda one, I'm assuming is still available on demand. Actually I have one that I am selling soon. I have both the Les Bosher one and the Arranda one. The Les B is new so I am selling the Arranda one. It's a very robust design, and I think it is designed so that you can screw off the PL front and replace it with other mounts. Just a guess. You could ask Bruce at Arranda directly.
Bruce McNaughton <bruce@arandafilm.com.au> .

This may nean it is a cheaper way to achieve some of the other mounts you need. All depends on what price ideas that they have etc.

Prices. Les B has a list price of 380 English pounds (USD 597) but I think often gives discounts. My used but fit looking Arranda one, probably USD300.

Let me know, I was going to soon notify the forum of the several ACL components I am about to sell on eBay.

- AZSpectrum B&W video assist
- Kinoptik VF
- Anatomical handgrip with cable
- 15mm rods and base setup for ACL II
- PL mount (TS/PL adapter for all ACLs), Arranda made.
- Top handle (factory made) for ACL.

Cheers,
Gregg

Hey David,

I haven't found out any more on who made that PL adapter. I might put a picture up here tomorrow. It's all stainless, very well made looking. Cosmetically, there are a some grinder marks on the front ext of the locking ring. I don't know the story behind that, but it has no effect on function.

Don't think I could come down much in price from USD300. I had a cheaper one two years ago that was made all of aluminum. I bought it and later sold it for USD250.

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifPL 2a.JPGTrying an attachment again. If anyone recognizes this adapter and knows who made it can they let us know.

Thanks.

i was preparing to sell this adapter when I discovered that the front part is eccentric by about 1mm to the lens axis, so I think it is designed to switch between S16 and standard 16. There is an extra knurled ring in the middle that lets you remove the front part. With a 180 degree flip you switch from standard to S16. There's a single registration pin with two hole positions, 180 degrees apart on the other face. It's easy and quick to do.

If Im right this is very cool. I changed my mind about selling it.

Does anyone recognize this adapter or know who made it?

Cheers,

Gregg.

Guest Glenn Brady

The adapter shown isn't for Nikon F mount lenses; it appears to be for Leica M mount lenses.

• Premium Member

My workplace Chrosziel auto-collimator and lens testing projector use the ACL TS mount to attach different lens mounts. In my workshop I've got Chrosziel (or ACL) adapter mounts for every kind of lens I might typically work on - PL, Arri standard and bayo, Aaton, BNCR, OCT 19, C-mount, D-mount etc.

4pwm.jpg

Chrosziel also make adapters for still photo lens mounts - Nikon, Canon, Leica and Olympus. See:

http://www.chrosziel.com/data/chrosziel/produkte/documents/Mounts_for_test_equipment.pdf

It's precision test equipment, so probably not very cheap.

Some of the adapter mounts I use I've constructed myself using a TS base (which is normally attached with 4 screws) combined with a mount from a junk camera or another adapter. Easy enough if you have access to a machine shop but getting the flange depth correct down to within 0.01mm can be tricky. The best solution to that is machining things slightly under tolerance (around 0.1mm under) and then having a camera technician measure the flange depth with the mount fitted on the camera. The discrepancy can then be accurately shimmed up.

Hey Dom,
I stand corrected. My adapter could have been made for an autocollimator like yours. Does the switchability between standard and S16 mean mine was probably made for a camera?

Did Eclair make this mount system first or did Chrosziel?

Very cool picture.

• Premium Member

Hi Gregg,

yeah I'd say your adapter would be for a camera, there's no use having a lens mount offset for a collimator or test projector.

Pretty sure Eclair would have made the system first.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone direct me where to obtain a TS to PL and/or TS to Nikon mount adapter for my Eclair ACL?

Hey David,

I have another PL adapter that is going on eBay, for about $200. It is an aluminum body (black anodized), stainless and brass for the part connecting to the camera like all the others.

Cheers,

Gregg.