Interest in F5 for budget filmmaking

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum as I recently purchased a Sony F5 package, a decision made for our production of an upcoming indie film. After getting hands on this product I am blown away. What a beautiful image.

In looking at lens options on a budget I'm drawn to the Angenieux 25-250 T3.9 from the mid 70's (no135 and up). Does anyone have experience using this lens on a digital cinema camera at 4K or above?

I want to say "if it was good enough for Kubrick it is good enough for me." I understand the exterior zooms in Barry Lyndon were all shot on this lens.

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

PS: This is not my setup in the pic

post-61772-0-43474600-1371587974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Benjamin Del Guercio

There's no way I would get that as my only lens on an F5. Being locked at a 3.9 is just too limiting for current technology. I understand cameras low light capabilities are amazing and it's possible to live at a f4 at iso 800 or even 1600 but I prefer something that allows me a little more control over my depth of field and choice of iso. On top of that, it's is a massive lens with a min. focus of almost 6 feet! If your like me and love working with directors that love shooting in closets and the smallest possible spaces you can see what kind of a hinderance that could be. I personally have never used the lens so I can't vouch for the optics of it, but what I have noticed from older lenses is they generally don't hold the sharpness of more modern lenses and tend to have a softer washed out look, which is great if that's the look you want, but may not be the look you want for every one of your projects.