World War Z - Kodak

Prashantt Rai

Maybe the 435 was a backup or used for highspeed? If it can overcrank x6, that's a lot better than Alexa thus far, which I think tops out at 60.

I talked to Forster briefly last month and he didn't mention shooting on film at all.

• Premium Member

Alexa goes up to 120 as far as I know now with the new onboard Codex thing.

However, I could see 435 being used for some special shooting circumstances; though haven't seen the film yet to mention what any of them might be. Much like how they used the Epic on Oblivion for one or two shots on what otherwise was a a F65 show.

The Kodak logo could have just been because the 35mm print, IN, etc. stocks are Kodak. Oz the Great and Powerful was an all-Red show and it has a Kodak logo.

That said, I watched this Saturday and noticed some high-speed stuff that could have been film. Like the helicopter crash.

Alexa goes up to 120 as far as I know now with the new onboard Codex thing.

However, I could see 435 being used for some special shooting circumstances; though haven't seen the film yet to mention what any of them might be. Much like how they used the Epic on Oblivion for one or two shots on what otherwise was a a F65 show.

I think maybe the Alexa at 120 sacrifices some picture quality; I thought it was only full-rez at about half that. I remember that SKYFALL shot their model stuff at between 40 & 60fps on Alexa, and before that HUGO did the train stuff around 40-50.

• Premium Member

I think you can only do it in 16x9 mode.. not 4x3, but don't quote me on that too much.

I know Hugo didn't have onboard RAW recording, Skyfall might have however. The onboard RAW option is what i recall being required to do 120fps. Also, i think the studio needs to have mirror shutter off for it to work?

I think maybe the Alexa at 120 sacrifices some picture quality; I thought it was only full-rez at about half that. I remember that SKYFALL shot their model stuff at between 40 & 60fps on Alexa, and before that HUGO did the train stuff around 40-50.

You're thinking of the high speed debayer mode, which isn't as clean as regular speed. If you shoot ARRIRAW, I don't think the picture quality is affected at any speed; you can choose your debayer quality in post (ADA-3 SW).

I watched a 35mm print today. The 35mm footage stood out. Mostly aerials. There is a credit for film loader on the main unit cinematography.

James even I felt so that 35mm might have been used in some places. Also possible that after reshoot, the earlier shot 35mm may not have made it to the final cut.

CO3 colourist replied to me on twitter that all the footage is from ALEXA and some from C500. strange.

From what I understand, the film was mostly if not entirely shot on Alexa, but an Arriflex 435 was used for special circumstances. Also, the Alexa didn't support 120 fps ArriRaw until last month when they introduced the XR recorder.

From what I understand, the film was mostly if not entirely shot on Alexa, but an Arriflex 435 was used for special circumstances. Also, the Alexa didn't support 120 fps ArriRaw until last month when they introduced the XR recorder.

Couldn't you have done it outboard to a Codex or something similar?

James even I felt so that 35mm might have been used in some places. Also possible that after reshoot, the earlier shot 35mm may not have made it to the final cut.

CO3 colourist replied to me on twitter that all the footage is from ALEXA and some from C500. strange.

How is that possible? The C500 came out last fall? Did the reshoots last that long?