Practical Lights

• Premium Member

The New World, as well, used mostly natural light-- but of course there weren't any light bulbs.

I once tried to shoot with just practical lighting. It worked ok, I suppose, but in the end, might as well use some film lights else you have to start to compromise blocking a bit just for camera, and that's very limiting for your director.

• 1 month later...

Fandango

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089126/

I'm not sure it is what yer after but towards the end of the movie there is a fantastic scene for the wedding that uses paper bag candles and string lights.

It has been a long time since I've watched but it is a pretty good movie that sits under the radar.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

i`m looking for movies that use a lot of practical lights, anyone remember good uses of these kind of light?

thanks a lot

Butler,

It is a little unclear what you are asking. Are you looking for good examples of films that used practicals in shots as a motivational source for motion picture lights,? Or, are you looking for examples of films that were lit solely with the practicals in the shots? Please clarify.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting & Grip rentals & sales in Boston

Edited by Guy Holt

Pick up a copy of the October 2013 American Cinematographer and read the article on how Roger Deakins ASC, BSC shot the new film "Prisoners". In that film, shot with an Alexa Studio with Arri Master Primes, Deakins used a, "...Practical heavy approach...". AC also notes that the local crew, "...Was blown away..." by the lighting approach. The article is very clear that lighting with a "...Practical heavy approach..." takes as much care, skill and talent as any other approach to lighting.

I would also suggest taking a look at Bobby Bukowski's work on the movie "Rampart". That flick was also shot with an Alexa and I think that Mr. Bukowski pushed the envelope, at least a little bit, with his lighting.

Also, check out "A Clockwork Orange", shot by John Alcott BSC. It is my understanding that a good portion of the film was shot using practicals as the primary light source.