Difference between Vision 3 stocks

I'd like to know the differences between the Vision 3 stocks available from Kodak. I understand the division between tungsten and daylight, as well as the ASA light sensitivity, but beyond that I can't see the difference visually with these stocks. Can anyone help explain what makes them different from one another?

• Premium Member

They aren't supposed to look different from one another, the whole point is that they look as close as they can, other than the differences in graininess simply due to their speed. That way you can use 250D for your day interiors and 500T for your night work and have it all look like the same movie and not sense the switch. There are differences but they have been designed to be minimized.

There are a few "designer" or "special look" stocks, mainly either slightly lower in contrast/color or slightly higher, but most of these have been phased out recently.

• Premium Member

No, Kodak has already reduced their product line to improve their shrinking profit margin, I don't see them putting out new stocks. Truth is that since most movies are digitally color-corrected, and most are digitally released to theaters, the need for the stock to carry some unique look has been somewhat obsoleted. Anyway, there isn't the market left to sustain low-usage stocks. Their biggest seller in motion picture stock is 500T 5219 (probably followed by 250D and 200T) so I suspect that will be the last stock standing. 50D is probably the lowest seller in the Vision line so I don't hold out much hope for it, nor 100T...

The 50D is also the newest entry in the VISION3 line, so I wonder if that has anything to do with its popularity.

Kodak doesn't even list the 100T on their website anymore. Can you still buy it?

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Production/Color_Negative_Films/index.htm

Edited by Charles Zuzak