3-D camera recommendations

Richard Weddle

I'm looking for the best professional 3-D camera rig. I don't want to have build it from scratch. I'd like a rig that's already on the market, tried tested and proven. Is there such a thing? Perhaps some of you have used a 3-D hi-def camera that you can recommend?

• 5 years later...

Hello Richard my first post which I hope helps you just a little.

I built my own Anaglyph 3D unit and attached it to a Super 8 cine camera in the late 1970's which worked quite well for what it was with red and green filters. I used a book which gave a description on how to go about it but after so many years cant remember the name of it. Anyhow it worked although probably not what you are looking for.

A few decades later I purchased a Sony HDR-TD10E 3D camcorder which I guess you can say is entry level but does produce some good 3D which I project onto a 8ft screen to view. Sony did produce other models including a semi pro HXR-NX3D1 which was far more versatile and this is the camera which would probably suit your needs.

I still have my 70's Super 8 3D films and at the time captured a good 3D record of the family along with other subjects and so really quite unique I guess.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/23/2018 at 5:55 AM, aapo lettinen said:

probably the OP has already transferred to Anamorphic and Large Format like people do every time the 3D tries to make comeback and fails :lol:

No, I evolved and started asking better questions.

I shoot hi-def 3D on the JVC GY-HMZU1 and 4K | UHD | RAW on the BlackMagic Design Pocket Cine 4K.

Although there are bigger and better and more sophisticated stereoscopic cameras made by Panasonic, JVC and Sony they have been discontinued and are no longer supported by their manufacturers. Additionally, I could not afford to buy one. However, the JVC GY-HMZ1U has specs that are competitive with the higher priced cameras. It really is a remarkable camcorder. If only it allowed for interchangeable lenses. I was trying to put together a two-camera rig that would produce the same or better results, but as the industry was backing away from the support technologies it just became impractical. Some people have the know-how to build their own rigs but I'm not one of them.

Ideally, there should be a stereoscopic camera as sophisticated as the BMDPcc4K. But -- and that's a capitalized BUT -- the studios really screwed up the big budget 3-D films they released for several years, confusing and alienating audiences, and the industry backed away from the process. Instead of realizing the potential of stereoscopic cinematography they obliterated it.

Stereoscopic photography started at the dawn of the new art form in the 1840s. It's been around since the beginning. It's the natural way we see and the natural way to capture images. So far as I'm concerned stereoscopic cinematography is the most sophisticated form of image capture. It can be done in 4K or 16K. Doing it well is the true test of a cameraman's chops.

End of rant. 

Edited by Richard Weddle