Canon Scoopic question

Rudy Velez Jr

Is there any other company out there that can replace the chips on a Canon Scoopic? The Scoopic guys seem to be out to lunch?

I do not have the problem but since I discovered the Scoopic guy website I am interested in what the the replacement chips are.

Try Du-All. They might be able to replace them, if you need to. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless the thing is on the fritz. The nice thing about older electronics, is that there's a lot less to break.

As far as I know, no one else is making new boards, other than the guys here:

http://canonscoopic.com/Scoopic/summary.html

The wiring diagrams can be found here:

http://www.apecity.com/manuals/pdf/canon_scoopic_16m_repair_manual.pdf

Everything you need to know about the boards is in there.

Hey Zac,

Does the Scoopic link for the people who make new board work? I tried calling them but nothing happened and Ive sent them emails and nothing. I hope that I can get a new board replacement even though I dont need it at the moment I like to plan ahead and get a replacement. Does anyone know the deal with http://canonscoopic.com/Scoopic/summary.html, I like the website and I want to use there services but I haven't gotten any feedback.

I have no idea if those guys are still around. I don't own a Scoopic. A friend of mine does, but his still works just fine, so no point replacing the boards.

A better approach would be to establish a relationship with a repair shop. Unless you plan on repairing the boards yourself, let the shop figure out where to get replacement boards. That's what they're there for. If the boards break, call them up and see if they can fix/replace it.

I know Duall is still around.

• Premium Member

I've had 5 Scoopic MS and one Scoopic MN. Shot hours of footage on each. Never had an issue with any of them although I've had Bernie at Super 16, Inc. give them a clean & lube. They are workhorses and very reliable. Just not as steady as an SR or XTR.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

It's just the shell that you have to find, re-celling them is easy and cheap. $60 per pack last time I did it at a Batteries+ store in the U.S. I have quite a few if someone needs them. I'm actually thinking of selling one of my Scoopic MS's with 3 or 4 batteries. PM me if interested.

• 5 months later...

Most of the ones I've seen have a bunch of AA sized cells welded together (batteries should be spot welded, not soldered) with strips. I've usually replaced them with 12V RC battery packs, that way you just have to solder in two leads (and maybe a capacitor).

If you do have the style shown above, it should be really easy to recell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

On a slightly different note, does anyone know where to get spare mechanical parts for Canon Zoom DS8s' or the scoopic? I've got a broken metal spindle that turns the supply reel. I've emailed the canonscoopic website- nothing as yet.

• Premium Member

Joe,

If its me you are replying to then thanks very much for sending your message

I'm after the bit at the end of the screwdriver plus the accompanying screw. Its a Canon Zoom DS8 camera of which a lot of the mechanics and the electronics are different but I am not sure if this bit is. Let me know what you think.

Much appreciated.

post-57755-0-29923600-1396814768_thumb.png

• 6 months later...

The battery show is for the old Gray Canon Scoopic, the MS and M take a different battery...S12....there are no new boards available I have repaired some if they are not too bad, I only Service and repair M and MS Scoopics, re- cell for a S12 battery is about 150.00. If you have any questions about Scoopics email me at patsown@att.net