WTB: Ektachrome 100D Super 8 or 16mm

David Cunningham

Hello All,

Looking for E100D, especially in 400ft loads on core, 100ft daylight spools or Super 8.

There were tons of it available through B&H before it sold out in the frantic buying spree post announcement of discontinuance. So, I know there are people out there with thousands of feet in the fridge just waiting to be guilted into selling some or all of it to someone that wants to actually shoot it.

It's film. Let's shoot. :)

I am not going to pay the crazy $1/ft prices people are asking on Ebay. So, please don't waste either of our time with offer like that.

I will offer $165 for a 400ft load on core, $60 for 100ft loads on daylight or $25 for Super 8. This is completely reasonable to offer for this stock.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

That's insane.

But even more so when I see people posting expired Ektachrome 160 A and Ektachrome 160 Type G for high prices on eBay. I don't really care if that ICK-ta-chrome Type G has been in a freezer since 1992 , who cares ? (and I bet in many cases it hasn't been kept in a freezer , but found inside an old cupboard , then put into a freezer , so they can say : "kept in freezer". )

Man, this is depressing ... just for kicks I searched for Plus X Super 8 on eBay and someone is asking for $68.00 a cart. Waahhhhh. :wacko: .

I think I miss Plus X more than Kodachrome 40 . (yeah, yeah, I know, neg. stock is so much better , no one should cry over the demise of "amateur" stock like Kodachrome ... but I like reversal because I can PROJECT it on a large screen with my Elmo projector . To me movies mean projecting on a big screen , not telecine and watching only on YouTube or Vimeo .)

Edited by David Nethery

I find myself arguing against the idea that Kodachrome 40 and Ektachrome 100D are for amateur film makers. I understand that they were released for the amateur Super 8 market. But, both were professional still films glorified by our still photography brethren. They are actually harder stocks to use than the negative stocks. And, I think they give a superior image when exposed correctly. But, it's just so hard to do perfectly.

Both of these stocks had an amazingly rich color. And, nothing quite beets the fine and dark grain of these reversal stocks. It just cannot be reproduced any other way.

I understand that the negative films have greater latitude and thus more details highlights and shadows. But reversal stocks are far more of an art that requires a professional/export touch to get just right.

I miss both K40 and E100D dearly. :(

Now, the Super 8 world is even loosing Velvia 50... the last bastion of reversal home. I'm glad we have the AGFA stock, but it's just way too grainy and oddly colored for me. Maybe we'll get lucky with Ferrania. But, I'm not getting my hopes up. Such a sad year for reversal lovers. :(

Edited by David Cunningham

I find myself arguing against the idea that Kodachrome 40 and Ektachrome 100D are for amateur film makers. I understand that they were released for the amateur Super 8 market. But, both were professional still films glorified by our still photography brethren. They are actually harder stocks to use than the negative stocks. And, I think they give a superior image when exposed correctly. But, it's just so hard to do perfectly.

Both of these stocks had an amazingly rich color. And, nothing quite beets the fine and dark grain of these reversal stocks. It just cannot be reproduced any other way.

I understand that the negative films have greater latitude and thus more details highlights and shadows. But reversal stocks are far more of an art that requires a professional/export touch to get just right.

Now, the Super 8 world is even loosing Velvia 50... the last bastion of reversal home. I'm glad we have the AGFA stock, but it's just way too grainy and oddly colored for me. Maybe we'll get lucky with Ferrania. But, I'm not getting my hopes up. Such a sad year for reversal lovers. :(

I agree.

Kodachrome was unforgiving in terms of latitude , but if you were careful with exposure and careful to shoot under the right kind of lighting conditions it looked SO GOOD. And the same for Plus X. It just looked/looks gorgeous to my eyes , especially when projected large . Such fine grain.

Edited by David Nethery

I agree.

Kodachrome was unforgiving in terms of latitude , but if you were careful with exposure and careful to shoot under the right kind of lighting conditions it looked SO GOOD. And the same for Plus X. It just looked/looks gorgeous to my eyes , especially when projected large . Such fine grain.

Plus X was an amazing, extremely contrasty stock that, you're right, looked amazing when shot perfectly. I did so on occasion in 16mm and in still photography. But, my Super 8 cameras just never got the same results as I always assume 1/3 to 1/2 step inaccuracy in my Super 8 cameras. Even that little bit make all the difference with plus-X. The difference being those perfectly beautiful blacks and nice sharp grays vs too dark or gray blacks and blown out grays. Tri-x is not as "pretty", but it's definitely easier to work with and gives a more "natural" look.

I'm still selling my 100D for 14.50 GBP which I think is a fair price. But only to callers in my shop, or postal customers ordering other stuff to make it worthwhile.

I have yet to try the 200D Wittner which I suppose is the nearest to 100D now. Would be nice if say Ferrania brought out a cheaper super-8 stock. I think col reversal has got to be affordable for the kind of people planning to use it, or they will lose interest fast. I meet new faces almost every day who want to try super-8 and like the idea of projection and actually seeing those tiny frames. Neg stock however good isn't attractive to them in the same way.

Doug

http://www,filmisfine.co

• Upvote 1

I quite agree. When reversal is exposed correctly on certain subjects it can look stunning. But I also like to post-flash 16mm Ektachrome, and then you get the gorgeous colour plus lots of shadow detail when its needed. I really hope someone comes up with another fairly slow emulsion with fine grain like Ektachrome.

Doug

http://www.filmisfine.co.uk

• 1 year later...