"New" super-8 camera to market

Lasse Roedtnes

Friedemann,

I know where you are going with this! Excellent suggestion.

Are tehre actually 35mm 2-perf cameras around too? I don't know the 35mm market at all, but could imagine 2-perf as a pretty nice ultrawide format...

Are tehre actually 35mm 2-perf cameras around too? I don't know the 35mm market at all, but could imagine 2-perf as a pretty nice ultrawide format...

Native 2perf:

http://www.aaton.com/products/film/penelope/

Converted to 2perf:

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/digital-cinematography/news/panavision-proposes-2-perf-film-system-indie-filmmaking/9084

http://www.clairmont.com/hot_new/2perf_35mm_cameras.html

I don't think there'd be a market, there's so much cheap used super 16 gear available and those cameras have a life of over 20 years, if not longer.

How about Ultra-16 ? I don't think any have been manufactured specially ? Almost the same size at 1.85:1, plus advantages of more lenses, and simpler option to use R.16 if desired.

You can modify the gate of a regular 16mm camera for Ultra 16, which is a lot less than the cost of a brand new camera. There are a lot of these cameras around and possibly the only thing wrong with some is they just need new/refurbished electronics.

Exactly Brian, so correct!

Guys, please don't understand me wrong, but will we want to go back to the end 1800's and the beginning to 1900's?

More sophisticated cameras do need a group of engineers, technicians, etc., as well as more complex manufacturing facilities. Don't be dreaming so much! Even you want to copy them! History tells everything...

Edited by Erkan Umut

can any modern film scanner deal with 2 perf?

thanks

g

Yes, several have 2-perf capability:

Lasergraphics Director

Northlight

Arriscan

Scanity

GoldenEye

I'm sure there are others, but these are just off the top of my head.

Not sure about the 35mm version of the Lasergraphics ScanStation - ours is 8/16 only, but I can ask. It'd be limited to 2k though. that said, for 2-perf that might not be bad for a lot of use cases.

-perry

Hi Guys,

We launched our webpage recently (still in alpha stage though) - content is changing day-by-day and we are soon adding some test footage as well - we will keep a blog going on our webpage to keep everyone updated as well as keep commenting here on this mighty fine forum :)

www.logmar.dk

Thanks

Tommy & Lasse

• Upvote 4

Congratulations, Tommy & Lasse!

That is a powerful statement from your "About us" page. Digital Illumanti take note, i.e.

"Why bother with film when XYZ company is going digital?

We do not believe in digital footage, it's as simple as that. Our passion is not for "plastic like" colours and high definition marketing jargon over which sensor chip has the most amount of pixels (and least amount of bad ones), so you won’t see us developing a camera for this market, also the digital film camera market is already dominated by big players such as Panasonic, Black Magic and Arriflex so we wouldn't be able to "pack a punch" especially being number #400 vendor of a camera in this space

We find it much more interesting playing in a niche market space where evolution has stood still for many years, a space where we can actually provide new features not seen before and gain momentum by the “news factor” of someone doing something that seems completely odd.

It is our promise to you that we will never compromise on quality and hence our cameras are all build and designed locally here in Denmark."

• Upvote 1

Hi Chris,

we've not been in contact with Kodak.

with the exception of trying to get in contact with a member of their technical staff to explain tolerances on their film perforations and other similar technical details etc. - however we never found an appropriate contact.

Do you have particular questions in mind?

best regards

Lasse

Hi Chris,

we've not been in contact with Kodak.

with the exception of trying to get in contact with a member of their technical staff to explain tolerances on their film perforations and other similar technical details etc. - however we never found an appropriate contact.

Do you have particular questions in mind?

best regards

Lasse

I mentioned it to the rep the last time i ordered S8 film. She said they were already aware of it and they were all pretty excited about the idea. It be great if they ended up doing some PR. The camera promotes the product and the Kodak brand.

• Upvote 1

Of course the reps are "aware and exited". They're paid to pretend anything the customer wants to hear. But there's a very high chance that they don't even know how a movie camera is linked to any Kodak product...

... Next time talk with her about Sony's new super8-projector. I bet that she's also aware and excited...

I only asked because of what Anthony has said. I am sure they have heard of it now. News spreads quite rapidly these days and it is much harder to believe that they did not. They often do profiles of super 8 projects that use their stocks, so a new camera, why not? You both stand to gain. Can't wait to see some footage.

• Upvote 2