Advice for someone about to graduate with focus on producing?

I've been looking for work for a few weeks now, and the most I've found has been single-day gigs on unpaid sets, or an occasional paid gig. I would like to find something more stable (even as a P.A.). I am about to graduate DePaul with a B.A. in Digital Cinema: Production, and have worked in the production department on several independent shorts and films. I love working on indie projects sometimes, but I need something more stable, and I'm looking for some advice.

I live just outside Chicago, and I've contacted a few companies, but no-one seems to be hiring. I've been applying mostly for production department, but I've recently also started applying for GnE, and Camera as well (I can operate upto a Red Epic, though I prefer working on the production and organization side).

One of my problems, is that I'm "much" older than most other people graduating with this degree. The average age for my graduating class was 23, and I'm 29 (from having spent time in the Army, which is how I paid for school), they seem to want to hire "younger people with little experience that they can mold" (direct quote from someone who turned me down). I really love working in the film industry, but I can't seem to get a foot in the door anywhere, and I've only got a few months of savings left.

So, can anyone give me some advice on how I can get a foot in the door, or maybe get started working in the industry? Or even how to combat this weird age barrier I've run into?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Remove your age from your CV if it is on there.

Don't mention the army thing and they may well assume things about your age based on you having just graduated.

It's a 6 year difference. Most people won't know.

Freya