Weird black dot that increases in size when aperture is wider

I have a black dot in all my photos. I ruled out it my lenses because I changed lenses and it is still there in the same spot. I ruled out that it is my LCD screen because I imported them on my computer and looked. It increases in size when when I open the aperture more and decreases into a small dot when I close it. I don't know what it is, I know it's in the camera, but I don't know if it is the mirrors or the censors, I think it might be the mirrors since it changes with the aperture. But I'm still unsure. Has anyone else had this problem? I like to shoot in sunlight which is dangerous, but I usually do it with clouds or at dusk. I think it might be be a spec of dust since I shoot in the forest a lot. Here are some photos. I would appreciate any feedback thank you guys!

Right here on the left side

Middle of the picture

This is a more open aperture

945679_10151714891035169_547673672_n.jpg

Here's one where it's right on my girlfriends lower right cheek :/

935851_10151755270925169_1069854044_n.jp

• Premium Member

That's sensor dust on the second photo -- I get it on my Nikon D600 now & then. If the sensor cleaning function isn't enough, you're going to have to get something to clean the sensor with (carefully). Maybe the larger one is dust on the back element of the lens (unless it's just larger because you were using a smaller area of the sensor). The mirror swings out for a photo so wouldn't be the reason.

Thank you very much for the response! Should I get a cleaning kit? I saw someone use canned air, but that scares me because of the chemicals. But I think it's the same spec of dust for both pictures, I have a manual aperture lens, and I see it change size when I adjust it. Is that normal?

The Nikon D600 has a documented issue that it is especially susceptible to oil being thrown from the internal mechanicals on to the image sensor. This leaves difficult to remove spots on the sensor that show up in images. You may wish to contact Nikon to see if they will remedy this under warranty. Here are a couple of links:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/22/nikon-issues-official-statement-on-the-d6000-dustoil-issue.aspx/

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180

• Premium Member

Have you looked through your camera's menu or manual to see if there is a sensor cleaning function -- it basically vibrates the sensor I think to shake the dust off. Otherwise, you need to go to a photo supply store and get a sensor cleaning kit, basically a lint-free pad on a stick, maybe with some special cleaner liquid of some sort, or maybe it is pre-moistened. Yes, you can first try blowing it off; if you don't want to use canned air, you can use an air syringe bulb that you squeeze.

Take a picture of a blank white wall to check the before and after results.

Sorry I should have mentioned I have a canon T3i, but it is big and black which is freaky. I did try the sensor cleaning a few times and it didn't work. I have a micro fiber brush for cleaning lenses that has an air bulb, but the fibers are for lenses, but I will see what I can do. Thank you for all the fast and informative feedback!

• Premium Member

Sorry I should have mentioned I have a canon T3i, but it is big and black which is freaky. I did try the sensor cleaning a few times and it didn't work. I have a micro fiber brush for cleaning lenses that has an air bulb, but the fibers are for lenses, but I will see what I can do. Thank you for all the fast and informative feedback!

Get the blower bulb, and some cleaning swabs specifically made for sensors, with the fluid.

I personally use Sensor Swabs with Eclipse fluid, other swabs are also fine. I suspect the microfiber tip could damage the sensor if you try to clean with it, better to use dedicated tools for this... You also have to look first what the debris on the sensor is, it could also be metal particles from lens mount, or some other hard material which should be removed before using pads or swabs (to avoid scratches).

Usually you need the swabs maybe couple of times a year, the blower bulb is usually enough for dust and other small particles :)

Edited by aapo lettinen