Star Wars Episode 7

I did hear it, but to be honest, if they shoot on film just to fill the frame with over-the-top CGI in post, like they did on the last three, I just don't see the point. Now, if they try to bring back the spirit of the older trilogy and their sublime models and practical effects, then that's great news.

• Premium Member

If J.J. Abrams is directing, he likes film and he likes building sets and shooting on location whenever possible -- of course, there will also be a lot of efx added as well but he's not like George Lucas in terms of preferring greenscreen cycs and virtual sets.

• Upvote 3

I actually talked to my point of contact in Kodak. She said the trilogy will be on film. Of course, it is still 95 percent since the production is still far ahead, but for now it is locked on film. Also, I heard that they will be using models mostly, which is great news.

I also heard it will be making heavy use of models, sets and real locations too.

They are trying to get back to the spirit of the originals and so are going to be looking for anything that can take them in that direction.

I hear the original sets are about to be destroyed by huge sand dunes tho.

Freya

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Well as it's set in the future; that could be very visually interesting. The original sets, sand coming in, people have moved out of the marginalized zones, someone looking back across the "sands of time," to the original, two suns hoovering low, a shadowy figure ridding something across the desert.

• Upvote 1

Well as it's set in the future; that could be very visually interesting. The original sets, sand coming in, people have moved out of the marginalized zones, someone looking back across the "sands of time," to the original, two suns hoovering low, a shadowy figure ridding something across the desert.

Well that could be, but I understand that the sand is expected to largely destroy the sets. I think it is a lot more sand than you are imagining. More like a huge cliff of sand coming toppling down like a rockfall or something.

Freya

I wonder if Daniel Mindel (J.J. Abrams' regular DP) will be able to work on this one. By the time filming starts, he'll probably be putting the finishing touches on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 at ColorWorks. Maybe Abrams will go with Larry Fong (The DP on "Super 8", also directed by Abrams) instead.

I know, just curious. I have some friends who made Kirk's swollen hands and Spock's ears last time. They and lots of their friends are pretty happy right now. It is interesting that in terms of labor and perhaps cost, it might be a wash between practical and cgi.

• Premium Member

I don't think it was ever really a cost issue, both sets and CGI are expensive, it's a creative flexibility issue (sets have their design limitations and stages have their space limitations) and a scheduling issue (sets take up space, need time to be built and struck to make room for the next set, etc.) I'm sure there will be plenty of CGI set extension work, even the original trilogy used matte paintings to increase the scale of the sets -- the bridge of Vader's ship in "Empire" was only partially built, for example, and extended with efx.